Is creosote a concern?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Butcher

Reaction score
After about 10 sessions of smoking meat I had one go bad on me. I had ribs that I don't think were burnt, I think I actually acumulated creosote on them. This is the first time I made a strong effort to keep the smoke going. The ribs were in the top of the smoker and I had a pork but on the level below that didn't get blackened anywhere near the level of the ribs? Is it likely I had this happen? I don't have vents at the top of my smoker, it's about time I change that though.

What wood were you burning? In what smoker? If you weren't burning railroad ties or pine I'd say it wasn't creosote. Maybe you oversmoked the meat but the fat of the butt kept it from sticking?

Its creosote. You have to vent the smoke or else you get it sticking to the meat. Smoke is really just for flavor and even an hour or two in an 8hour smoke you still get the flavor of smoked. In a wood fire smoker I have to remove the bark before burning the wood and keep the vent open to avoid the creosote. By washing the meat you can get rid of most the creosote taste. Wash in cold water & pat dry with a paper towel; it is called "blooming". This is done with sausages. Cheers;)

Yes, creosote is what that probably was the problem was. It won't make you sick or anything at all, it just doesn't taste good. I have never heard of washing it off of like bobrob said but it is worth a try.

Back