another rainy day: out of work time to brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReefkprZ

Reaction score
so I grabbed a 4 pack of guinness and a belgian wit. now I'm going to brew and drink beer. Todays recipe will be....

"Basic Black" my own dry stout.

very simple recipe

3.3lbs breiss dark DME
2 lb 8 oz German Rauch smoked
1lb black patent

hops will be
centennial only
.75 oz at 60
1.25oz at 1minute
.5oz 5 minutes post boil (aka the non dry hop dry hop).

what do you guys think of this recipe (other than the fact that it is very basic)

I've never used German Rauch but I'd guess 2.5 lbs is a lot. A full pound of Black Patent is definately a lot but doable.

When I was designing this recipe my thoughts were. "Black and simple" the parameters actually fell inline with a dry porter purely by accident. the IBU is about .3 low (If I'm going by competition guidelines) but its close enough for me since the human palate cannot distiguish that fine of a difference. it may be a lot of Rauch but I didnt want another mostly extract beer. half the fun is steeping. (and sipping beer while I watch the thermometer like a hawk to ensure the temp doesn't change more than a degree or two)

Was that rauch malt grains or LME? If grain,can it be steeped?

its grains, and yes I steeped it for a full hour. I'm now onto the boil, filtering out the grains is always a challenge for me as my setup leaves a lot to be desired for using grains that aren't in a muslin bag.

And just for all the doubters out there... Brewing DOES make life better. its been cloudy for a week, an hour into the beer session and the sun came out..... so much for the rapture.......

Back