Yeast Suggestion for Low Sulphur

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

senoird

Reaction score
I usually only brew ales and have only brewed one lager in my time of brewing. I could not ever really get the sulfur out. Even after 6 weeks there was still a hint of it. Beer was good just was always that hint of sulfur. Is there an available to homebrewer strain of lager yeast that is low sulfur? This will be for a typical american lager. I thought Id brew a batch for a friend of mine but not if it isn't "clean" per say.

I usually only brew ales and have only brewed one lager in my time of brewing. I could not ever really get the sulfur out. Even after 6 weeks there was still a hint of it. Beer was good just was always that hint of sulfur. Is there an available to homebrewer strain of lager yeast that is low sulfur? This will be for a typical american lager. I thought Id brew a batch for a friend of mine but not if it isn't "clean" per say.

Sulfur flavor in beer is a result of leaving beer on the yeast for too long or poor sanitation. Of the lager yeast, I think WLP820 is probably the most forgiving but is for a matlier beer.

Sanitation is good as always. Sulfur smell started within 3 days during fermentation . I have read on numerous forums that sulfur is common in lagered beer. There is a strain from White Labs that is low/no sulfur production but its for commerical use and not sold to individuals,cant recall the number on it.

To answer your original question, I had great experience with WLP833 German Bock. It is a little malty for an American Lager, but I really liked the result. Practically sulfer free.

As an adder, I just heard (I think on Brewstrong) that sulfer can be the result of a reaction between your yeast and chlorine in your brewing water. It may just be fresh in my mind, but it was the first thing I thought about when I read your post. It was a little unclear if you have the same issue with ales, but even if not, I have to imagine that different strains react differently in the presence of chlorine.

Are you carbon filtering or using a touch of campden? If not, it might be something to consider.

Joe

Back