missing target OG, adding extract to make the difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyleWolf

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So during my first AG, I did a poor job of it and got a little under 70% efficiency (guessing around 67%). I still want to hit my target gravity...Is it recommended against to add, lets say, a bit of malt extract to the primary (boiled/diluted in water) to bring it back to where it needs to be?

I only need an additional 10 points or so. my calculator says 1.5lb of extract would make up the difference (5 gal. batch)

I don't know about adding DME after the boil. 67% efficiency is not terrible - I'd let it ride as is. I typically check the gravity pre-boil, and adjust as necessary at that point. If you do add DME now, experience has taught me to add it gradually, checking gravity as you go.

I will completely contradict Buffman, no hard feelings I hope. 10 points is not that big a deal for the yeast to handle the difference of, although its a big difference in your final product. I would go ahead and boil it up, cool it down, and toss it in.

Then start figuring out your gravity issues, once you get used to your system you won't have to worry about that anymore.

yeah, I have a feeling my less than stellar efficiency was due to my lack of technique with sparging.

I will let it ride a day or two, then maybe add a lb or so.

Thanks

Back