can apfelwien be sweeter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movement

Reaction score
i just bottled and tasted my first batch of it, its amazing, but i want to make another batch but sweeter.

any way i can mod the recipie?

Yeah, don't use a champagne yeast. But that is kind of the hallmark of the apple wine style, so really you are just making a hard cider if you choose to leave it sweeter.

i added an extra pound of dextrose to one batch, used sulfides to kill the yeast, and added 1/2 gal of fresh juice to sweeten. you can add more or less juice to backsweeten, it will also add extra apple flavor. you can use almost any juice.

some people add splenda or other nonfermentable sweetners.
Yeah, don't use a champagne yeast.
try Nottingham (that's what i am putting in my next batch along with 1lb of honey

Yeah, don't use a champagne yeast. But that is kind of the hallmark of the apple wine style, so really you are just making a hard cider if you choose to leave it sweeter.
Yeah I'm kind of going for that feel of cider especially with fall & winter right around the corner, last cider I made was awful, this wine just a little sweeter was the taste i was going for.

i added an extra pound of dextrose to one batch, used sulfides to kill the yeast, and added 1/2 gal of fresh juice to sweeten. you can add more or less juice to backsweeten, it will also add extra apple flavor. you can use almost any juice.

some people add splenda or other nonfermentable sweetners.

try Nottingham (that's what i am putting in my next batch along with 1lb of honey
This sounds like the plan. thanks man.

HOnestly, give it time. apfelwein seems to hit peak flavor after 6 months.
I didn't like it the first few months...now I'm finally enjoying it.

Back