When should I dry hop my Barley wine style braggot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Yep, I will try and keep this brief considering my rambling novella about my other braggot from this morning that really did not go anywhere. :drunk:

Okay. Brewed a braggot 8.25.08 in a barley wine style. OG was 1.102. It has been racked twice to get it off a ton of trub. I have not taken a reading, just racked it.

How long should I leave it sitting before I dry-hop? I plan to let it dry hop a few weeks then bottle and age.

Suggestions?

If it has cleared enough for you to consider bottling/kegging, then dry hop for a week. Given a normal hop/fruit addition.
Longer if your adding something that will cloud it up, then its up to you, but I would cold crash it before the next step to help clear it.

Well, I finally took a gravity reading this morning. It is at 1.026. According to my software it should go down to 1.003? It is 72.6% attenuation at this point. Using US-05 yeast. My brewing software suggests 96% attenuation.

hmmm. It is crystal clear in the glass. Guess I should wait a little longer and take another reading? I am only going to have a bomber left in the end!

It tastes great! Hops are gone already but it is really nice. Has that rich barley wine complexity with a hint of honey aroma, flavor and mouthfeel. Guess it is time to step it up and brew a full on batch. More hops next time I guess.

Did I mention how friggin' wicked this tastes!

DAMN!

Definitely need to get a full batch going!

I don't think I have enjoyed drinking a hydrometer sample this much ever!

:drunk:

might have to get a straw...
;)

Well, I finally took a gravity reading this morning. It is at 1.026. According to my software it should go down to 1.003? It is 72.6% attenuation at this point. Using US-05 yeast. My brewing software suggests 96% attenuation.

That sounds like awfully high attenuation... I admit I don't have any experience with mead, but it seems with about 40-50% of your fermentables coming from barley you would have a higher FG than 1.003. Maybe not as high as it is now but I can't imagine it dropping a whole lot further. Thats just my uneducated guess though. Still even if it does drop all the way down you would probably be fine dry-hopping now.

Latest posts

Back