Maximum quantity of maltodextrine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_f

Reaction score
Hi there:
I have a recipe that calls for 400 grams of maltodextrine in a 19 L batch.
this is something like 14 ounces in 5 gallons. More than what it is commonly recomended. (8oz/5gall)

any potential problem with this?
thanks in advance!

JP

Seems like a lot to me. Perhaps post the whole recipe?

I was reading Beer Captured last night and noticed in a recipe that 4oz of md was replaced in the AG version by 8oz of dextrine malt. This told me two things:

1) That 4oz of md may be a reasonable amount (??).
2) That md may be replaced in a mash by a double amount of dextrine malt (which would have been interesting in a thread we had a week or two ago, but I still feel compelled to mention it here).

I seem to recall using 12 oz of lactose in a stout (or it may have been 8) without any ill effects...while a different ingredient, they are both unfermentable and add body/mouthfeel.

this is a recipe that my friend is trying to brew (all grain) it is in metric units

All Grain
Batch 19 lts

- 3 kg Pale malt
- 400 g Maltodextrin
- 300 g crystal malt
- 500 g toasted wheat
- 150 g oat flakes
hops:
Columbus 8g (60 min)
Cascade 22g (15 min) .

Ale yeast (Kolsch/California Ale recomended)

he claims this is a kolsch type beer...
one thing that got me suspicious is the amount of maltodextrine. the other is that it is listed with the malts....
the other are the hops...

For sure he'll not mash it :)
may it be possible that this should be dextrine malts?

thanks for the help!

i agree with BeeGee here. that's probably supposed to be DextrinMalt and not MaltoDextrin.

(This is a common point of confusion since the names are so similar, and maybe why some people refer to DM as Carapils/Carafoam.)

-walker

m_f said:
he claims this is a kolsch type beer...
one thing that got me suspicious is the amount of maltodextrine. the other is that it is listed with the malts....
the other are the hops...

For sure he'll not mash it :)
may it be possible that this should be dextrine malts?

thanks for the help!

There is no way that is right. Aint no stinkin 400 grams maltodextrin in no stinkin Kolsch.

This is also clearly an all grain recipe where the grains are mashed: I agree that it's probably supposed to be dextrine malt.

m_f said:
I have a recipe that calls for 400 grams of maltodextrine in a 19 L batch.
this is something like 14 ounces in 5 gallons. More than what it is commonly recomended. (8oz/5gall)
I've got a cream stout that uses 1 lb of maltodextrin, but I agree with everyone else, 14 oz is a lot for something like a Kolsch...I use 2 oz in hefes, and that's plenty.

Back