No yeast and the LHBS is closed, bread yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NateG

Reaction score
I went and started a batch of blackberry apple cider this morning with the intention of hitting up the local LHBS only to remember they are not open Mondays. I treated the cider with 5 camden tablets but crushing them up and adding them to the berries when I pasteurized them. The problem is I wont have time to hit up the LHBS anytime soon, I have bread machine yeast, I normally use US-05, any hints/tips warnings about using the bread yeast?

I talked to a soldier who was stationed overseas and he used bread yeast for meads and melomels. Once he was able to get ahold of brewers yeast his product increased immensely. I haven't used it but is there any way you can get someone to swing by the lhbs to get some us05?

I think Basic Brewing did a segment on this once, with beer, IIRC. They seemed to indicate it turned out well. Don't remember the details.

I don't know, the place is unfortunately on the complete opposite end of town and it would take too long to go on my lunch even tomorrow. I might see if I can butter up my girlfriend into running down there tomorrow since she gets off earlier and she is a big fan of my cider :)

Well it ended up that I had to use the bread yeast, I put a teaspoon of it last night so hopefully it has taken off this morning.

I'm no expert but tried it myself in a 1gal experiment (my first brew) went fine was nice tbh drinkable.

Thanks.
Tim.
on the go :-
1gal apple cider
5 gal mixed berry cider

I would also be interested to hear how it turns out. My first brewing experiment involved bread yeast (I think I used the fresh stuff, not instant) and I just don't think it attenuated very well - it gave up the ghost quite quickly there was very little alcohol content and too much sugar left behind. You might have better luck.

Dried active yeast is the one

Thanks.
Tim.
on the go :-
1gal apple cider
5 gal mixed berry cider

Well it is still bubbling, the berries have floated to the top like usual and the closet has the nice aroma of fart :) All the while I fear I am drinking one of the last glasses of the pumpkin spice cider from earlier in the fall.

I don't know, the place is unfortunately on the complete opposite end of town and it would take too long to go on my lunch even tomorrow. I might see if I can butter up my girlfriend into running down there tomorrow since she gets off earlier and she is a big fan of my cider :)

I want to hear about what happened to you when you put butter all over your girlfriend! (My wife would get mad if I did that to her.):off:

I have used bread yeast in beer three times and I am about to try it again. It was satchets of Generic Food Lion Brand marked "Made in Mexico". The first time one packet made a beer not unlike US05 or Nottingham, but did not fall out very well. It was early in my home brewing experience. In hindsight, I didn't ferment it but two weeks, it may have dropped out better if I had done a month in the primary before bottling. The second time, I used a yeast from Mr. Beer and that dropped out so clear that I worried that there wasn't enough for bottling (I was probably wrong) and so I primed with a partial package. The flavor was really great! The third time I used it, the flavor was horrible- infected like lacto. Probably not acetobacter, because it was so young, but it was a real bumber. This next time I am going to try two or three packets so that maybe out of sheer numbers, yeast will overwhelm the lactobacillis and whatever else they let into the dryers down in Mexico. Using Active dry yeast is probably best bet, because it is dried at the point in its life cycle to start fermenting for bread right away. For the cost of three packs though, I might as well buy one pack of US 05 and not worry about infection.

I bought a 3 pack of Fleischamann's Active Dry Yeast (Product of Canada)... It was $1.19. So I thought i would try it out in a gallon of cider, and see what happens. I've been using EC-1118 for all my ciders and sodas, so I thought I needed a change. I also picked up a pack of Notty and some EC-1116 to do a side by side test with them all.
I'll post in a wee while, once I get all my others bottled.

I made a 5 gallong SMASH of 2row pale mashed high at about 156f and some Nugget hop bittered to 35~40. This time I used 1/2 a jar of Fleischmann's active dried yeast. I put in a question to Fleischmann's to see if they use something other than Saccharomyces cerevisiae and will post their reply if they email me back. 10 hours there was a foam cap. After 24 hours it is in the blow off tube. 64f temp. It doesn't smell bad. It isn't cropping on the bottom or on the top, it is uniform throughout the column. I have a Stout pitched at the same time with S-04 Whitbred same age. It is all on top. Keep you posted. Let us know what your cider has done.

I am intrigued as to the results, I hope you are taking gravity measurements. I've got to say I am sceptical based on my admittedly limited experiments, which gave very poor attenuation and a distinct bready taste. I didn't have a hydrometer when I tried it, but I would bet the abv wasn't more than 1% - I reckon bread yeast has poor resistance to alcohol, it's not made for that, there's a reason there are different strains, bread yeast is selected to produce lots of CO2 to raise bread not produce alcohol. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though, just not on my own 23L batch :D

I am intrigued as to the results, I hope you are taking gravity measurements. I've got to say I am sceptical based on my admittedly limited experiments, which gave very poor attenuation and a distinct bready taste. I didn't have a hydrometer when I tried it, but I would bet the abv wasn't more than 1% - I reckon bread yeast has poor resistance to alcohol, it's not made for that, there's a reason there are different strains, bread yeast is selected to produce lots of CO2 to raise bread not produce alcohol. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though, just not on my own 23L batch :D

I have done this before tbh It wasn't too bad I've made a few brews now with bread yeast being my first knocks your socks off after about 1.5 liters you can feel it :beer:

On 3/16/14 1.051 with 11lbs of malt via no sparge method.

NateG, what is your cider doing?

The recipe for JAOM (Joe's Ancient Orange Mead) calls for bread yeast, and people report attenuation up to the mid-teens in terms of ABV on some batches. While the flavor it adds might be a bit weird (not readily apparent in JAOM), the main issue is that it doesn't flocculate well unless you give it a ton of time or a nice deep cold crash.

We wondered if any would drop, at all. It started at about 62 and at full krausen my thermo strip said about 66f. There was a darker layer on top of the trub. A lot of yeast fell in the primary , it wasn't powdery, it was thick. (But, I over pitched on purpose.) So, for better photographic proof, I took it off the original trub. I moved it to a secondary last week. I tasted it, and it was done, but I didn't get a gravity reading. It tastes like a Belgian double that I did a long time ago. It tasted like a wheat beer. I don't know what Brettanomyces tastes like, but I have read "horse blanket" and that is what I taste/ smell. 4-ethylphenol There was clove too. 4-ethylguaiacol I read this, I don't know. It wasn't bad, I liked it. My wife liked it, and she doesn't like anything under 50 IBU. Summery is what came to mind. Definitely dominated by the yeast.

You can see that it does flocculate. This picture is at 65f. It is crashing now. I will take a gravity reading when I rack to the keg. Nate G, how long are you going to age your cider? If mine goes downhill, or gets better, you might be able to gauge what your cider will do.

FlocculentFleisshmans.jpg

Nothing wrong with this. Totally summery and needing an orange slice or some coriander. You have to be expecting a wheat/Belgian sort of flavor, or you would think it a bad beer. So, it did flocculate. It did attenuate. It got down to about 1.011. I mashed hot so there are dextrine's floating the hydrometer, so I think with a thinner beer would get down even farther. I will run this by some of the guys in our local home brew club that have experience with farm house, Belgian, wheat beers and see if they think it is like what you get when you buy the wyeast and white labs strains. I think it really helped that I over pitched. NateG let us know about your cider.

FleisshmansTerminalGravity.jpg

PintBelge.jpg

The last pours were just as clear as a regular pale ale. The clove flavor never died down completely, but it was almost gone. I would say that if you use it in a style that wants phenolics, over pitch, ferment cool @62f or so, and crash cool it for a couple of weeks (or not if it is a wheat beer), you could get away with brewing with bread yeast. -At least Fleishmann's rapid rise from the jar.

My experience with this (I've done it multiple times in experiments) is that it results in an off flavor, probably the 'clove' spice that mdennytoo mentions. Kind of a a yeasty, spicy headiness to it. I've had it drop out completely clear and still have that flavor/aroma, though less pronounced. It's not bad necessarily, but generally it isn't what you want so I never brew with it anymore.

The other thing that I've read is that fermentor's yeast has extremely high standards for being bacteria free compared to a bread yeast. That's the main reason for the price difference. You'll most likely not have any problems, but if you want to leave it sit in bottles at room temp for months it's probably not a good choice.

You only do this if you want something like a wheat beer, and you only want to have the beer for about a month. One last thing. It did ferment out completely. That is, I was wondering if it would do like a wine yeast and not ferment out maltotriose and higher sugars, but it did.

Back