Hoppiest commercial brew you have ever drank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Port Brewing's Mongo IPA is the most wonderfully unbalanced bitter hoppy beer I've ever had. I've usually had hop matter in the bottle trub. The bitterness is actually quite pleasant.

For aromatic hops, I'd say Boneyard Bone Light. It's pure AROMA/FLAVOR hops, hardly any bitterness, and the malt backbone is so light that the aroma and flavor is overwhelming. I would take it over almost anything else.

For pure dank hop flavor you can't get better then a nice Pipeworks IPA. In Chicago they are the best that's available period. I don't mean they have one or two good IPA's I'm talking half a dozen plus, all phenomenal.

For pure dank hop flavor you can't get better then a nice Pipeworks IPA. In Chicago they are the best that's available period. I don't mean they have one or two good IPA's I'm talking half a dozen plus, all phenomenal.

This is true, I'd love to find a clone recipe for any of them. Their IPAs are amazing!

WilliamSlayer said:
Headytopper hands down. That beer is a 'mind altering experience'. (Its probally been mentioned back at the beginning)

+1, it may not be the most bitter, but it's the best hop experience I've ever had!

I haven't had any of the beers mentioned before, but of what I have had Alpha Centauri is my favorite, and Inversion Is a close second.

Bale Breaker's IPA from Yakima, Wa. Hard to find but buy it if you can find it. Made on one of the largest hop farms in Yakima. Look 'em up, chances are the hops used in a lot of the brews mentioned in this thread came from that brewery.

ICWiener said:
What a great beer. The brewery is about 20 miles from my house. Filling up a growler of that stuff is hop-head heaven.

I live in Folsom area but have never been. I need to try and get there one of these days

I live in Folsom area but have never been. I need to try and get there one of these days

Yes you do! Fresh Hoptologist off of a tap is amazing.

You should also try to get out to Berryessa Brewing Company in Winters. It's a little bit of a trek, but holy crap, their house IPA and their Double Tap IPA are mind blowing.

At the current time.... Uinta Duhbe.... Black Imperial IPA. Awesome beer

image-3317772015.jpg

I just finished an HT a few minutes ago. It was far from the 'most' anything except maybe the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had.

I'd say the prize goes to Sixpoint Resin. That stuff is just off the chart ridiculous.

BG

I've been lucky enough to have Pliney, Ruination, 120 on a regular basis, Heady, palate wrecker, hoptimum, hop stoopid, etc.

For some reason Sixpoint Resin does stick out in my mind a lot more than the rest mentioned. That's not to say I think it's the best beer, but to my palate it might be the most directly bitter.

Also, some of these are more double/tripel IPAs so the malt to bitterness ratio isn't an even mix.

I have the exact same sense of smell as a potato, so most delicate hop aromas are completely lost on me. All that being said, fresh Jai Alai coming to my market within a week of canning is something very special.

Also, sculpin - didn't understand the love for that beer. Had it on tap and thought it was OK, had it in a bottle and couldn't get past the garlic and onions.

I'm sure it's just me, but I really don't need to have it again.

Topcutter by bale breaker brewery is by far the most hop forward IPA I have tasted. It was almost just a hop tea rather than a beer. Pliny has great aroma and as is mentioned enjoy by does too. But overall I think bale breaker is hoppiest.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Home Brew mobile app

Pliny of course for all around"hoppy".
I had some Ballast Point IPA at a local place, not sure which IPA it was, but you could smell the citrus a block away, I was very impressed with that beer.

Ruination and Torpedo are my go to commercial IPAs, both readily available and very tasty IMO.

jimmarshall said:
I agree so far. Its my absolute favorite. Sucks that getting my hands on some requires so much logistics

Tell me about it... My in law drove 12+ hours to get two cases... Just a perfect beer from top to bottom

Palette Wrecker for me!

I finally got a chance to try Palette Wrecker last night. It's a very solid beer, but I was shocked to read that it's 149 IBUs. I guess my palette has already been wrecked! I didn't think it was any more bitter than Lagunitas Sucks, which has a very pronounced resiny hop flavor, or Green Flash Green Bullet, which is kind of similar to Sucks. I also didn't think Hop Stoopid was all that bitter. Wish I could get my hands on some Heddy Topper, Hopslam, or Pliney here in Texas. My LHBS had a homebrew Pliney clone on tap that I tried the other day, and it was seriously good. I think the clerk said they used a full pound of hops in a 5 gallon batch. Not sure of the specific addition times. So I guess Ruinition is the hoppiest I've ever had, but it's been a long time since I've tried it.

From one of my favorite cities.... Where the goonies, and short circuit was filmed!

100+ ibu

I just bottled a super hoppy brown ale and i named it "bitter *****" looks like i need to be a bit more creative.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Skagit River Gospel IPA is definitely the most bitter, harsh IPA I've ever had. I love it, and to me it's a good bitter, but my guess is that it's not for everyone.

Back