Keeping fruit/berries submerged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpsumo

Reaction score
I started a mead on Sept 29th, then racked it onto thawed blackberries on Nov 8th. It's still bubbling a little so I guess it's still fermenting.

My question is: Do I need to push the berries down into the liquid? they are quite buoyant and some are near the neck sitting out of the liquid on a bed of berries. They shouldn't get mouldy should they?

They shouldn't get moldy due to CO2 production. They will also start to sink once they get water-logged and the ones up top will get submerged. But if you don't want to wait you could probably help them out by pushing them in with a sanitized spoon. In the future, put them in a grain bag or muslin bag with sanitized marbles or stainless steel pieces to keep them submerged.

Thanks for the reply, I will keep an eye on them and see if they sink

The bag is the best idea, but I would suggest pushing them down with a sanitized spoon as Reno said. It's called punching down and you get better extraction from the fruit and ensure that nothing will happen (even though if everything was sanitized properly it won't)

Thanks buddy, I will keep an eye out for a bag. I imagine it makes for easier cleanup too.

Back