Hop tea went wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axivanax

Reaction score
I just made 22l of Coopers Australian Lager, with a hop tea(Boiled 20g of Cascade for 10 mins).After adding it to the beer it tasted rather tea-like.Did the extract came out too strong, i.e I should've made the hop tea with like 10g of Cascade or something?
Damn I hope the beer turns out fine.

I've never made hop tea to add my hops, but what do you mean it came out tea like? Did the beer taste like the hop tea, or like actual tea?

Since you are asking if you should have used half the hops I'm going to guess you mean that the beer tasted like hop tea.

How did you mix the hop tea in? Could you have gotten a disproportional amount of the hop tea in your taste due to it not mixing well?

If it is mixed well and it's overly hoppy for your taste, it will mellow with some time.
The beer will be fine.

Just a question here, why would you make the hop tea rather than adding the hops to the wort boil? Is it to help avoid the hop mess in the actual wort?

How big of a batch of beer are you making? According to the internet 20 grams is about .7 ounces of hops. Even in a one gallon batch that's not a lot for many types of beer. That would be about 3.5 ounces in five gallons and most things I brew use more than that, but I like to brew mostly beer where there is a lot going on. In a stout or porter there is a lot of flavors that make the hop less of a stand out.

Yeah the beer tasted like an hop tea :p
How did I mix it? I just added it to the fermenter.
Why didnt I add the hops to the wort?Basically boiling hops in another pot containing some of the kit extract will definitely reduce the mess.

Interesting though that you're saying, that 3,5 ounces (100grams) would be good for 5 gallons(19l) batch.So it actually turns out that I underhopped my beer :p ?

Hmmm... I also don't get the "tea" flavor as its only water and hops. You shouldn't boil the hops. There are a few methods but basically I just heat the water to 180...let it drop to 170 and add my hops to a french press...let it set for at least 30 minutes then I add it to a secondary and rake the beer on to it.

And yes, you should use a lot more hops. I used 1 oz in a one gallon batch. Beer will be fine though

What he's talking about is boiling the hops in the water in the brew kettle for 10 minutes. Then mixing up the pre-hopped Cooper's can. You never boil those or you'll ruin the hop profile. I did that with my 1st 2 beers or so. But I used at least one ounce,which is like 28g. 2 ounces is def better though,& 15-20 minute boil works a bit better.

Thanks for the answers.
I took a gravity reading today and also tasted the brew, quite nice actually, seems it will turn out fine : )

What he's talking about is boiling the hops in the water in the brew kettle for 10 minutes. Then mixing up the pre-hopped Cooper's can. You never boil those or you'll ruin the hop profile. I did that with my 1st 2 beers or so. But I used at least one ounce,which is like 28g. 2 ounces is def better though,& 15-20 minute boil works a bit better.

This explains a lot. I've never used Coopers so I didn't understand the process. They are pre hopped so you are just adding aroma hops

Hmmm... I also don't get the "tea" flavor as its only water and hops. You shouldn't boil the hops. There are a few methods but basically I just heat the water to 180...let it drop to 170 and add my hops to a french press...let it set for at least 30 minutes then I add it to a secondary and rake the beer on to it.

And yes, you should use a lot more hops. I used 1 oz in a one gallon batch. Beer will be fine though

I dry hopped 1oz in my 1gal batch and I think right around 1 ounce during the boil

Well,depending on the boil time,you'll get flavor or aroma. Unless you use,say, two hop varieties at like 15-20 minutes & 2 or 3 minutes,respectively.
This explains a lot. I've never used Coopers so I didn't understand the process. They are pre hopped so you are just adding aroma hops

Latest posts

Back