calculating corn sugar addition at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killian

Reaction score
I have used palmers nomograph in the past but, some one posted different results using beersmith.
-
So now Im wondering what every one else is using.

Are you talking about adding it directly to each bottle or boiling it with water and adding siphoning on top of it to the bottling bucket?

I boil and siphon, and use 4 oz almost universally for all styles. There are a few exceptions, but 90% of the time it's 4 oz.

ohiobrewtus said:
Are you talking about adding it directly to each bottle or boiling it with water and adding siphoning on top of it to the bottling bucket?

I boil and siphon, and use 4 oz almost universally for all styles. There are a few exceptions, but 90% of the time it's 4 oz.

Adding to the bottle seems ridiculously tedious. Why not add it to the bottling bucket, then siphon it in from the primary/secondary?

Here is a carbonation priming chart I found, they have a lot of stuff on that site..unlike all other brewing rags..
http://***********/referenceguide/primingchart/

I'm new to this but I tend to over-research. I probably wouldn't use the exact numbers on the chart, or palmers, or anyone elses.. I'd find a happy median between the style and my personal tastes.. Fizz makes my heartburn flare up.

I've been looking for an easy way to adjust sugar amounts based on the volume. I have what was going to be a 5gal batch fermenting now and I'm wondering if there is a scale out there that will easily allow me to adjust the amount of sugar based on the volume of beer (I know that my batch will be slightly less than 5gal).

Am I overthinking this too much and should I just add 3/4 of a cup or whatever is called for 5gal and just leave it at that?

The carb. calculator in my previous post will adjust for different size batches.

Edit: I fixed the original link so it works right.

so far beersmith, beer carbonation calculator and palmer's nomograph are all giving me different numbers. I think I will just stick with beer carbonation calculator for now.
-
any one using anything else for your calculations?

Latest posts

Back