Any way to beef up OG after pitching?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shutupandbrew

Reaction score
2nd no sparge BIAB attempt today missed OG. Did a Bavarian Hefe shooting for 1.049, but only hit 1.042. At first I thought I'd just let 'er rip and let the chips fall where they may, but of course after mulling over the idea of a mild-ish ABV Hefe I'm now wondering if theres anything I can do to get the gravity up to where it should be, even though I pitched my yeast about 4 hours ago?

I have about 8oz. of Bavarian Wheat DME left over from the 2L starter I made for this brew, and about 7.5oz. of light DME lying around.

If it is what it is, I can live with that, but I thought it might be worth asking about.

Boil up some DME, let it cool, dump it in the fermenter. There's calculators out there that tell you how much DME to suppliment with when you miss your OG. I'd probably add it as soon as possible, but anytime in the next day or so should be fine.

Had to add about 14oz. of DME boiled in about a quart of H20. Feeling much better about the potential of this beer now.
Thanks for the response!

Dried extracts adds roughly 45 total gravity units. To find out exactly how much you would need to add you can do this simple equation...

(Total gravity target - Total gravity from mash)/Extract per pound GU value

Total gravity is total volume x gravity. So I will assume you have 5 gallons....

target is 5 x 49 = 245
From mash is 5 x 42 = 210
Extract value is 45

(245-210)/45=.777 pounds of dried extra which is 12.5 ounces so you were right around where you needed to be.

Thanks for the explanation h22lude.

I used a calculator on a Brewzer app I have, but it didn't explain the "why" to how much I needed to add.

Prost!

Latest posts

Back