Hops Growing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richthrift

Reaction score
I'm planning on growing my own hops shortly. My question is about storing them until planted. With rhizomes, how long can they be stored and how do I store them until planted? If they need stored for longer than I expect should I find a way to grow from seeds instead? And lastly, can I get hops seeds?

Ive successfully kept hop rhizomes in the fridge for probably 3-4 months without issue (ziplock bag with a dampened papertowel) - you just need to ensure that they dont dry out or become water logged - Id imagine that if stored well, they might last even longer...they are really hardy plants. Ive never found anyone who sells hops from seed (besides ornamental hops), as Id guess it makes it difficult to determine which plants are female (ie. the cone producer)

+1 Store in the fridge and keep moist. Spring is right around the corner they will certainly keep until then.

Growing hops from seeds is a real cr@p shoot. Rhizomes are clones, so you know exactly what you are getting.

funny story kinda... when we started our farm we didn't have the fridge space inside for all the rhizomes inside the house so i put 100 cascade rhizomes in an old mini fridge out back. went out to check on them a week later and.... they're all frozen! after freaking out a bit we defrosted and planted them out of spite. then the best thing coolest thing happened all grew health and produced copious hop cones for us.:mug: so needless to say i think hops are the superman plant and Pliny was a smart man when he named them the Wolf Among Shrubs

i got some seeds off amazon to try and grow a male. really interested in trying to breed some. i got inspired while on a trip to UCDavis i got to see and smell a new variety, that isn't to market yet. i dont remember the name but it smelt like blueberries!!

Back