First batch problems (yeast??)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GutWeizen

Reaction score
Pitched my first batch last night. Really simple, Cooper's syrup (wheat), amber DME.

"reconstituted" the yeast and pitched about 11pm last night. Nothing happens.

8am this morning had 1/2 inch of foam, no activity in the air-lock.

1:30pm today, 1 inch+ of foam, still no bubbling in the airlock.

Is the yeast bad, (didn't proof it)? Get more yeast? Let it develop?

I had always pictured the yeast activity to be much more active and seeing active bubbling in the air-lock. Am I having too high of expectations?

Any advice here would be helpful.

THX

If you're seeing a big yeasty head (krausen), you've got fermentation going! Now, maybe you don't see airlock activity because the lid isn't sealed on super tight or you otherwise have a leak. Is the water in the airlock pushing up to one side? That will show you the pressure in there. If it's equal, I bet you have a leak. That's ok- that just means you won't see bubbling in the airlock.

If you've got 1" of krausen, it's fermenting. Sounds like the CO2 is escaping somewhere otherthan the airlock. Make sure your lid is on securely (if you're using a bucket), your stopper is in tight, and the airlock has enough liquid in it.

EDIT: Yoop types faster than I do...but we seem to think alike!

did you aerate the living crap outta the wort prior to pitching the yeast? could be lag time still.

Well, There is about a 1/2 inch-1inch head in the fermenter, and no activity in the airlock..... until I filled it to the proper level. Once I had enough water in the thing it began to hop and bubble quite vigorously.

Thanks for the encouragement.

GutWeizen said:
Well, There is about a 1/2 inch-1inch head in the fermenter, and no activity in the airlock..... until I filled it to the proper level. Once I had enough water in the thing it began to hop and bubble quite vigorously.

Thanks for the encouragement.

fwiw (I'm also n00b but have done a few batches) I prefer to use vodka in the airlock just to be sure all the nasties get killed. Don't bother changing at this point, but try it for the next batch.

dale

Back