Williams Brewing Catalog

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer:30

Chief Bottle Washer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was flipping through the Williams Brewing Catalog last night while having a few and saw a little inset article titled "Brewing the Williams Way" that summarized All Grain Brewing. Step 1 was to activate yeast whack pack and allow to swell. Step 2 was Boil the hops and grain. Boil the grain, really? How does that work for the enzymes and astringency? I realize that they were trying to provide a simple write up, but I would think that the word boil would want to be avoided since that will surely ruin your mash.

Maybe I have to re-read it sober, but it sure seemed misleading to me. Has anyone seen this?

Didn't catch it in the recent issue...will have to go back and read through. But, yeah, that doesn't sound right. Although maybe that's the secret to the "William's Way"?

That aint right. You would end up with wort full of starches and little or no sugar to ferment. Maybe he is talking about partial grain/ extract brewing?

Yeah either you misread or he was really oversimplifying things. Just dumping your entire grain bill into the kettle and boiling would lead to epic failure.

Latest posts

Back