Can you Brew It recipe for Epic Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are (unless otherwise specified): 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1052
FG 1011-1012
IBUs 23.2
SRM 8.3

4.3kg Golden Promise 80%
550g Baird's Caramalt 10%
180g Carapils 3.3%
360g Fawcett Pale Crystal 6.6%

90 minute boil

7g Cascade 7.5%AA at 75m
14g Cascade at 30m
34g Cascade at 10m
42.5g Cascade at 0m
Wait ten minutes
42.5g Cascade - hot whirlpool for 10 more minutes
57g Cascade dry hop dose 1 at ferment temps for 5 days
57g Cascade dry hop dose 2 at cold crash temps for 5 days

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Mash at 148F

Cool to 18C and pitch, raise to 21C after 24 hours.

Thanks for posting. Was just listening to the podcast last night.

Thanks for posting, Eric. I'm going to try this, so here's your post in English measurements (to save anyone else the conversion):

6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil, Rager IBU.

If you brew this, please reply with your results for discussion.

OG 1.052
FG 1.011-1.012
IBUs 23.2
SRM 8.3

9.5 lbs Golden Promise 80%
1.2 lbs Baird's Caramalt 10%
6.5 oz Carapils 3.3%
13 oz Fawcett Pale Crystal 6.6%

90 minute boil

0.25 oz Cascade 7.5%AA at 75m
0.50 oz Cascade at 30m
1.25 oz Cascade at 10m
1.50 oz Cascade at 0m
Wait ten minutes
1.50oz Cascade - hot whirlpool for 10 more minutes
2 oz Cascade dry hop dose 1 at ferment temps for 5 days
2 oz Cascade dry hop dose 2 at cold crash temps for 5 days

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

Mash at 148F

Cool to 64 F and pitch, let it rise to 70 F.

Newb AG question:

I notice on Jamil Brewing classic styles recipes and can you brew it recipes. They quote both post and pre boil volumes on recipe.

I would like to widen my brewing experience with the help of can you brew it recipes and podcast for help. If you are trying to scale recipe down on Beersmith which volume measurement do you input on his recipes to start. Post bol 6 gallon or Preboil 7.2 gallon.

With current equipment, I am only able to do 2.5-3 gallon all grain recipes. Can't wait until Christmas.

Thanks.

Newb AG question:

I notice on Jamil Brewing classic styles recipes and can you brew it recipes. They quote both post and pre boil volumes on recipe.

I would like to widen my brewing experience with the help of can you brew it recipes and podcast for help. If you are trying to scale recipe down on Beersmith which volume measurement do you input on his recipes to start. Post bol 6 gallon or Preboil 7.2 gallon.

With current equipment, I am only able to do 2.5-3 gallon all grain recipes. Can't wait until Christmas.

Thanks.

Scale the post-boil volume to match what you can produce with your system. Pre-boil volumes vary by system (some boil off more than others), but the recipes are always formulated for that post-boil wort.

I couldn't get any of those brands of crystal so I got what I could. I do PM due to a small pot so I kept the hops and yeast the exact same but formulated a recipe based on what I could get.

46% 4 lb Golden Promise 2 L
35% 3 lb Extra Light Dry Extract 3 L
9% 12 oz Crystal Malt 10 10 L
6% 8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine 2 L
4% 6 oz Crystal Malt 20 20 L
OG: 1.057
FG: 1.015(I think I can get lower)

Does anyone see a problem with this?I used less dextrine and crystal b/c the extract contain dextrine and crystal.

Did they mention using NZ Cascade? It's subtler than the US Cascade and I'd imagine an important element of the beer (tho' I'm sure either way will make a convincing Pale Ale).

Has anyone attempted this and tasted it?
I brewed this yesterday, I added 10 oz. of carafa III for a black IPA(in color only) but the rest is the same. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I live about 5 miles from Bairds maltings, but they don't sell in smaller quantities than a few tons / a lorry load at a time. My online LHBS stocks all Fawcetts malts though so I really have no excuse but to make this :)

I used Tasty's recipe as the many of the malt's in the brewers recipe are not available here. I got lazy on the dry hops and kegged after ferment and then stuck a few ounces in the keg for a week. Turned out pretty good and I've never really had anything like it - I would make it again.

It uses a ton of Cascade but luckily Cascade is about the cheapest hop there is when bought in bulk (at least in the USA). I used whole hops during the boil and whirlpool - didn't want to deal with that much pellet hops in sacks.

I'm giving this recipe a shot over my Christmas vacation. Got a sack of Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise and sourced some Simpsons Caramalt from Northern Brewer, along with Briess 20L and Carapils. Ordered a few pounds of fresh Cascade hops from hopsdirect too, should be tasty.

I'm giving this recipe a shot over my Christmas vacation. Got a sack of Thomas Fawcett Golden Promise and sourced some Simpsons Caramalt from Northern Brewer, along with Briess 20L and Carapils. Ordered a few pounds of fresh Cascade hops from hopsdirect too, should be tasty.

How many BBL of it are you making?
:tank:

Eric

haha, only 12 gallons. I want to do another beer with Golden Promise and I needed to stock up on hops for other recipes.

Hello, Does anyone know if they stated the timing for the dry hop additions? Specifically, do you add the initial dry hop after fermentation is fully complete or at a certain point before terminal gravity?

Also, did they do all the dry hops in the primary with the trub/yeast in the bottom or transfer off before dry hopping?

Thanks, Nathan

First dry hop was added to the primary 2 points before final gravity and left in for 5 days. Everything is then dumped/removed from and the beer. Beer gets chilled (serving temp I think) and the second dry hop is added for 5 days cold. Then transfer to keg.

Calculated IBUs are different than measured. Brewing software does not account for whirlpool hops which do get utilized. I brewed this recipe and it tastes like it's 45 IBUs regardless of what <insert brewing software name> tells you it should taste like. Epic had the beer analyzed and it measured at 45.

Maybe the equivalent of 23 cones are crammed into each bottle?

Dragging up an old post, I know....

Does anyone remember which episode this podcast was? I can's seem to find it now :confused::confused:

I even did a search in iTunes, no luck.

Dragging up an old post, I know....

Does anyone remember which episode this podcast was? I can's seem to find it now :confused::confused:

I even did a search in iTunes, no luck.

08-30-10

HvLx6.jpg

the EPIC Pale is 45 IBU, the EPIC Armageddon is 60 IBU!! Am interested in brewing this one as well.

I can't seem to get the US Cascade here in NZ, but i notice that NZ Cascade has higher alpha at 7.6% and US Cascade is around the 5.4%.

...might have to take the foot off the gas pedal with the NZ hops.... :)

Just brewed this up last night. I'm not much of a hops guy, so I was surprised that I had to basically add a coffee mug full of hops to this one, and I still have 114 g of dry hopping to go.

More of a british ale kinda of guy but after all the raves it has received, I just to brew it. 4 days into the fv and it has dropped to 1016, and Im wondering if I shld wait till it hit fg or just throw in the first dry hops tomorrow. The nose on this is just amazing, but the bitterness at the end is a little harsh and wOody.

Digging up an old one, but I brewed this about 10 days ago. I must have gotten my notes switched up as I mashed this one at 158-160F and NOT 148F. Along with the 16% or so crystal malt, I went from 1.052 to 1.020 in about 4 days with dry Nottingham.

I'll admit that my fermentation control was lousy on this batch. It started a cool 60F but I moved it to warmer environs and the weather decided to get in the 80s. Beer temp climbed to 74 by day two and I moved it to the basement again to get it in the mid 60s. With the high "FG" it's possible the temp swings have caused the yeast to shut down early. But with the crystal amount and high mash temps, I'm not so sure. Rousing for a couple days at warmer temperature may have brought FG to 1.018.

Any ideas? I'll be dry hopping and kegging in a week (vacation). Beer is still hoppy bitter so the sweetness seems to be in check somewhat in its uncarbonated warm state. No real showstopper off-flavors at this point yet.

Being from NZ, Epic Pale Ale has to be one of my favourite beers. The Hop Zombie is AWESOME but you really do need to love or have an obsession with hops!!

I brewed this yesterday for my first All Grain (BIAB). Seemed to go OK, a truck load of hops!!! Only differences, I'm using New Zealand Cascade @ 8.8% and I used Carahell Malt instead of the Pale Crystal. I hit an OG of 1.065 not 1.052, but shouldn't be to much of an issue.

Cooled it overnight and chucked the yeast in, should be a good brew. Just in time for my birthday next month.

Question though, I don't have anywhere to cold crash, since I bottle instead of keg. For the last edition hops it says to add at cold crash temps for 5 days. Am I OK to just chuck the hops in there at colder temps then bottle? Or should I just chuck em in at 5 days anyways and not worry?

Next on the list, an Irish Red.

If you cannot cold crash or reduce temperature in any way, I would add your last addition at your current temps and leave to sit for an additional 5 days before you bottle. The cold crash helps remove the hop debris and yeast, helps prevent chill haze and may provide a different dry hop character than at warmer temperatures.

This is what I plan to do if I cannot get my kegerator working this week.

Just an update a month from brewday. Concerns regarding a higher FG have vanished at least in my opinion. Racking to add dryhops may have restarted a small fermentation (didn't take a final reading). That said, it's been in the keg for at least a week now (without the 2nd dryhopping) and I am pleased with the results so far. 3 year old cascade hops have held up though are not ideal for a fresh hoppy ale, that I've learned now. Still a nose to it since it's been carbed but have noticed that most of the aroma from the late additions were more or less scrubbed off the beer during fermentation. Still not sold on the late whirlpool additions (while not using a dryhop) to provide lasting aroma. Otherwise, I feel the amount of crystal is needed to help balance some of the strong/harsher bitterness given by the Cascades at this gravity. It's not cloying or overly chewy despite mashing at a higher 158F. Nice drinkable pale ale. But use fresh hops to get the desired effect!!!

Brewed and bottled.

I didn't cold crash though, just threw in the last hop addition straight into the fermenter and left it for a further 5 days.

Bottled a week ago, I'll pop a smaller (500ml) bottle into the fridge and let it settle for a couple of days before I try it. Then leave the rest (if I can) for my birthday bash next month along with Schlenkerla's Irish Red.

Experience of my first All Grain brew - http://manawabrew.blogspot.co.nz/2012/04/all-grain-and-american.html

The comment below is from the brewing network page for this recipe.

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/668

"In the interview the brewer says he does a protein rest @ 55 deg C (131F) and then mashes @ 68.5 deg C (155F) but then later in the show when Jamil gives the recipe he says to do a 148 deg F mash. Is my hearing F'ed or what?"

I listened to the show and the brewer did say 155. Wondering if jamil said 148 to account for system differences or by mistake. What do you guys think?

Votes: 5report abusevote downvote up

Well, I used Nottingham and that chews through most beers for me, so I ended up mashing higher than 148F. In fact, I must have been drinking while brewing and it was 158F instead. I've always mashed higher than normal when using attenuative strains such as Nottingham, US-05, 1056, 001, etc. In any event, I think the beer came out pretty good, even with the large amount of crystal in the recipe. Nothing about the beer tells me to stop drinking after a pint. If you are using the suggested yeast, which I've never used, go with what the brewer said or use your previous experiences in your own brewery. Good luck and enjoy!

Well, birthday came and went. This was the only beer than ran out, so I take that as a good thing. Will definitely brew this again, house ale even. Sadly I only have 6 750ml bottle left!!

Back