Extract Recipe for a Black IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haputanlas

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to recreate something similar to Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous (XI Anniversary Ale). This is an unbelievable Black IPA. I have found some recipes online for an AG recipe. However, I don't know where to begin to come up with something for an extract.

Obviously I don't expect an exact clone, I am just looking for something similar.

Yeah, I noticed that AHS has a kit too. I might just start with that and add some additional hops. However, I am also curious about how I would come up with this without needing a kit.

I guess part of my wants from this thread is to get a little bit more insight into how people would come up with a recipe. I'm still just a noob.

Carafa Special III is the grain you want to use typically. Not much, maybe .5-0.75 lbs in a 5 gallon batch should be enough to get plenty of color in there.

Poking around online, I see Brewmaster's Warehouse has it listed under Roasted Malts as "Weyermann De-Husked Carafa III".

Thanks. Do you think that will add enough of the black ale flavor? Or are you suggesting this grain solely due to the fact that it will darken the colors?

Nevermind the last post. I looked it up online too and Carafa Special III was recommended by Stone directly.

+1 on Stone's Sublimely Self Righteous! I just bought the AHS Black IPA kit an I'm really hoping it tastes pretty close to Sublimely. If anyone has brewed this kit and tasted the Stone version, can you let us know how close they are?

LarryC, man I envy your location right about now. I was just out in San Diego and got myself some Pliny, Sublimely Self Righteous, and Bourbon County Stout. All great beers that are unavailable to me. :(

Here's my recipe... I just bottled this yesterday and the hydrometer sample was fantastic... I can't wait to drink it! Use a blowoff tube or a large primary. :mug:

7.5 lbs light DME (3 lbs. at start of boil, 4.5 at end)
12oz. victory
12oz. crystal 60L
6oz carafa II
6oz chocolate

2oz centennial 60
1oz centennial 30
1oz centennial 20
1.5oz cascade 15
1oz cascade flameout
1oz willamette flameout
1oz cascade dry
1oz willamette dry

Pitched 2 vials WL001 California Ale
OG: 1.077
Est. FG: 1.017
ABV: 7.8%
Color: 27 SRM
74 IBU
(SRM and IBU calculations by recipator)

The Northern Brewer recipe uses 9.5 lbs of dark LME plus some dark specialty grains. This stuff is black!

I'd reccomend cold-steeping the roasted/black grains in your fridge a couple days before the brew to avoid making a hoppy American Stout and any tannins that may work in a stout but not an IPA

LarryC, man I envy your location right about now. I was just out in San Diego and got myself some Pliny, Sublimely Self Righteous, and Bourbon County Stout. All great beers that are unavailable to me. :(

No argument from me, life is good in San Diego - we have a lot of local craft breweries and there are a number of local brew pubs with 20+ taps pouring craft beer.

I made a couple of trips to Austin but this was years ago and my beer pallet wasn't yet refined (I drank Miller then). It sure seemed like the kind of place where craft beer would be popular though...

It is really popular out here, however the local home brews are to be desired. The only fortunate thing about Austin is that AHS (Austin Homebrew Supply) is located here. This makes my life a little bit easier.

The Northern Brewer recipe uses 9.5 lbs of dark LME plus some dark specialty grains. This stuff is black!

I'm brewing a batch from this kit as well - bottled it a week ago and will try this weekend for the first time. I'm curious to hear how your batch turned out - any updates?

I have never tried a "black" IPA like this but it sounds good. Compared to an American IPA like Stone or something similar, what does it taste like?

It tastes similar to an IPA, but with darker malt tones. Very tasty.

You need to try it to fully understand.

Widmer has a version out right now that is pretty readily available that you can sample. It's called the W'10 Pitch Black IPA. This is not very strong in the dark malts, but it is definitely noticeable. If you don't like this, don't try others.

I'd reccomend cold-steeping the roasted/black grains in your fridge a couple days before the brew to avoid making a hoppy American Stout and any tannins that may work in a stout but not an IPA

I should have tried that. I made a version of a black ipa and it has a bitter overly roasted flavor. Probably from the tannins.

I've never heard of cold steeping..... do you follow the same water ratio as you would for a hot steep... 1-2 quarts per pound? and next question... do you then dump the whole kit and kaboodle (grains and water) on the stove and do a hot steep (155 degrees) for an hour?

So I just tried Stone's SSR and I realized:

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

Wow! That is what I was looking for when I made mine!
Now I just need to figure out WHAT I did wrong.

I never tried the style before, but now I need to make this. It will be my next brew....

Here's my recipe... I just bottled this yesterday and the hydrometer sample was fantastic... I can't wait to drink it! Use a blowoff tube or a large primary. :mug:

12oz. victory
12oz. crystal 60L
6oz carafa II
6oz chocolate

2oz centennial 60
1oz centennial 30
1oz centennial 20
1.5oz cascade 15
1oz cascade flameout
1oz willamette flameout
1oz cascade dry
1oz willamette dry

74 IBU

How'd this turn out?

I decided to do this as my first all-grain and it seems to be turning out great! Transferred to bottles and it tastes unbelievable. I think it will be my best brew yet.

Here's to two weeks from now! :mug:

I decided to do this as my first all-grain and it seems to be turning out great! Transferred to bottles and it tastes unbelievable. I think it will be my best brew yet.

Here's to two weeks from now! :mug:

Do you might if I ask what recipe did you use?

Sure thing,

notice that this is only for a 1.25 Gallon batch. This was experimental for me, so I didn't want to ruin a 5 Gallon Batch (Wish I had done it now though). Either way, the grain percentage ratio is there for you to make an easy conversion.

Sublimely Clone
================================================================================
Batch Size: 1.250 gal
Boil Size: 2.000 gal
Boil Time: 0.000 s
Efficiency: 70%
OG: 1.096
FG: 1.024
ABV: 9.3%
Bitterness: 102.6 IBUs (Tinseth)
Color: 42 SRM (Mosher)

Fermentables
================================================================================
Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Pale Malt (2 Row) US Grain 4.250 lb Yes No 79% 2 L
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 74% 60 L
Carafa III Grain 4.000 oz Yes No 70% 525 L

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Chinook 13.0% 0.562 oz Boil 1.000 hr Pellet 78.7
Amarillo 9.5% 0.188 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 9.5
Simcoe 13.0% 0.188 oz Boil 15.000 min Pellet 13.1
Simcoe 13.0% 0.125 oz Boil 1.000 min Pellet 0.8
Amarillo 9.5% 0.125 oz Boil 1.000 min Pellet 0.6

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
Safale S-05 Ale Dry 1.000 tsp Primary

The only thing I should add is that I used de-bittered black malt from AHS instead of Carafa III. I believe that they are roughly the same thing. However, BrewTarget does not have De-Bittered Black as one of the grain options.

Actually, I just noticed that the exported recipe did not include the Grain Percentage, Dry Hops, or mash schedule.

Here it is:

2-Row Pale - 89%
Carafa III - 5%
Crystal 60L - 5%

Not sure where that last percent went. Must be that damned evil monkey.

Dry Hops:

.5 oz Amarillo Pellets
.5 oz Simcoe Pellets

Mash Schedule:
Single Infusion (60 minutes) @ 152 degrees F

I brewed damdaman's recipe and it turned out great. I cold steeped the dark grains and there is no astringency. My only complaint is that it is not quite as hoppy as I was expecting. I did this as a partial boil, but now finally have full boil capacity. I'm not sure if the increased hop utilization from full boils will be enough, or if I should increase the bittering hops when I inevitably brew this again.

It's probably the boil. This beer is extremely hoppy for me. I know that it will change a bitt after it is bottled, but man it is REALLY hoppy right now.

The only thing I should add is that I used de-bittered black malt from AHS instead of Carafa III. I believe that they are roughly the same thing. However, BrewTarget does not have De-Bittered Black as one of the grain options.

De-bittered black is a type of grain not a brand. Dingemin has a de-bittered black, Carafa is a de-bittered black, etc. There are a few more malsters that make a de-bittered black.

Forrest

i'm on my 4th batch of beer and wanted to brew damdaman's recipe but was unsure about steeping volumes of water and if i should boil with the 5 gallons of water? any help would be great. thanks

12oz. victory
12oz. crystal 60L
6oz carafa II
6oz chocolate

2oz centennial 60
1oz centennial 30
1oz centennial 20
1.5oz cascade 15
1oz cascade flameout
1oz willamette flameout
1oz cascade dry
1oz willamette dry

74 IBU

Can't wait to try this recipe! I had a couple quick questions (I'm still a relatively inexperienced brewer):

The grains are mashed for 30 minutes at 150C, sparged at 170?

The DME- 3 lbs are added prior to the boil, then the 4.5 lbs are added after the boil or are they both boiled? If so, how long is the 4.5 lbs boiled for?

Thanks, and looking forward to this recipe!

Hi Guys! I am new here. I am returning to homebrewing after a pretty fair absence. I have been an extract (dry preferred often) brewer since the 90's but quit in the mid 00's due to kids, etc.

I am getting set to brew up a Black Double IPA this weekend. As per usual for me, I am combining some ideas/recipes to get there. This is what I have:

Specialty Grains to steep before boil:

.5 lbs Crystal 80L
.5 lbs. Chocolate Malt
.25 lbs Black Patent Malt
.25 lbs Roasted Barley

Malts/Fermentable Sugars:

7 lbs. darker mixed LME from Williams Brewing Scottish Ale kit
3 lbs. Muntons Plaine Extra Light DME

Hops:

English Fuggle and Golding pellet hops (KCF 125 Williams Scottish Ale kit hops), bittering
1 oz. US Goldings leaf, bittering 1
1 oz. Chinook Leaf, Bittering 2
1 oz. Willamette leaf, Flavoring 1
1 oz. Cascade leaf, Flavoring 2
1 oz. Cascade leaf, Aroma

Hops schedule:
Bittering 1 added after returning to boil after adding LME and DME
Bittering 2 added after another 15 min.
Flavoring added after 50 min. (add Irish Moss)
Add Aroma hops after another 8 or so min. (58 or so total so far)
Boil 2 more min and remove from heat.

Yeast:

1 package Wyeast 1056 American Ale
I have another package of 1728 Williams Scottish I was considering pitching as well, but it is past date and does not seem to be activating after a couple hours.

I am going for something like a Oskar Blues Gordon's ale blackened up and hopped up. I like Ruination, I like Seven Seas Balls Deep double IPA (though it needs more hops to balance out all that malt), and like the color and flavor added by blackening an IPA with black patent.

I can bump up the black patent or barley, and am open to suggestions on my hopping schedule. I have not dry hopped before, and am not so comfortable doing so as I worry about contamination after pitching.

I will use a larger (8 gal I think) plastic primary with airlock, and rack to glass secondary. Probably unneeded basic info but since I have not done this in a couple years, just kinda reminding myself what worked in the past.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

I personally would stick with de-bittered black malt, caramel 40-60 and light malt extract.

I would NOT use black patent! Ive had a BIPA that had black patent in it and it COMPLETELY covered up the hops, tasted like ink. I would also not use the "darker" malt extract. And Ive never used them, but I'm not sure fuggle belong in a BIPA.

I just read where you said you don't mind the flavor added by black patent....so do as you desire. Don't be afraid to dry-hop! I'd say its almost required for an IPA.

Let us know how it turns out and what you decide on!

Cheers.

Well, the brew is on. Making adjustments on the fly as I always did. Not gonna pitch the scottish yeast. It did not poof up. but the Wyeast 1056 looks good and ready and will hopefully do the job.

In between boiling hops and flavor hops now. Going to add the Cascade flavoring 5 min. before the Willamette flavoring, then the Cascade aroma at 58 or just before taking it off the boil. sure is making my garage smell good! It is fun to do this again!

EDIT: came out at 1.091 OG. Pitched at just over 70 degrees. Hopefully it turns out well!

Hey all!

So, I don't quite understand this one. I've never seen a recipe call for DME at the end of a boil! Does this literally mean you mix in 4.5lbs of DME at flameout?

I have seen this mentioned quite a few times over this weekend now. From what I have gathered, it makes for a lighter colored beer, correct?

I am very interested in this black IPA idea and would love to try it. I am only set up for partial boils right now but most of the recipes I am seeing cater to that.

Should I give the ones I am seeing in this thread a try? Or is there somewhere else I can get a good base recipe to start from? A database of extract recipes would help.:mug:

Steeped at ~155F for 30 mins in 2.5 gallons water
0.5 lb British Black Patent
0.5 lb Carafa III
1 lb 60L Crystal
0.5 lb 90L Crystal
0.5 lb Roasted Barley

2 lbs Dark DME 60 min boil
1 lb Amber DME at flameout
8 lbs Canadian two row LME at flameout

1.5 oz 13.9% AA Nugget 60 min
1 oz 17.4% AA Milennium 60 min
1 oz 13.1% AA Magnum 30 min (estimated AA due to being home grown!)
1 oz 6.6% AA Cascade 20 min
0.5 oz 6.6% AA Cascade at flameout
1 oz 6.6% Cascade dry hop 10 days
Final batch size 5.67 gallons
OG (est) 1.084 FG (est) 1.021
ABV: 8.1%
Color: 42 deg Lovibond
IBU 100+

It is dark and chocolatey with mild coffee undertones that are quickly balanced with a nice hop bitterness. The head is thick light tan and retention is outstanding!
It is a nicely balanced beer, but next time I think I will up the flameout hops additions to get more hop aroma

I brewed this a couple weeks back with a new hop schedule, can't wait to try it!

What yeast did you use for this? I'm assuming Ale but since I am new to brewing I don't want to mess it up. Thanks again :mug:

Back