Crazy Brewing Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottmd06

Reaction score
Decided to fabricate a homemade fermenter today out of a 5 gallon Lowe's bucket and lid. Drilled and install a brass plumping "nipple" with grommet into the lid for a blow-off tube.

For the brewing... I didn't want to make a beer. I wanted to do something crazy. I made a wort using only 1/2 cup unsulphured Molasses, 1lb corn Sugar, 2oz liquid Coconut extract, 1oz liquid Cinnamon extract, and 1oz Rum extract. Ended with 3 gallons after adding water and moving to fermenter.

Why??? No real reason. Just bored. Wanted to try something while I wait for my real brew to ferment in my real fermenter...

I pitched my yeast and had minor activity in an hour...

I'm thinking this will end up being a hopless, spicy beer if I don't just toss it randomly one day.. I'm wondering if I should let it carbonate and everything.. I'll probably see it through to bottling just for poops and giggles.

I'm thinking this will end up being a hopless, spicy beer if I don't just toss it randomly one day.. I'm wondering if I should let it carbonate and everything.. I'll probably see it through to bottling just for poops and giggles.

This will not be a beer, beer requires Malt and hops.

that is the law/rule. You will have a flavored Liqueur.

As a harmless warning, many will consider this a hooch thread, you may not get any positive responses to your post.

Good Luck! :mug:

There won't be enough fermentables in that recipe to produce much of anything. The OG would only be about 1.015 or so I'm guessing. That's a very thin wort. Something like a quart of molasses and three pounds of sugar would be more like it. In any case, yea, it's jail house hooch and will likely be horrible. YMMV of course.

Jailhouse Hooch hehehe that's funny. I tasted a little before putting it into the fermenter to check the flavor and it was kind of like a coconut flavored tea. When I tasted it I felt like I should have used a bit more molasses, and maybe I'll try this again down the road with a little more preparation as well. Thanks for the fun replies so far =)

I think they do.. I've got activity in there for sure, it's just not as active as the beer kit I'm brewing in my True Brew fermenter.

I would like to wager that will taste horrible. Keep us updated.

Someone in another thread said that fermenting sugar water creates something known as "kilju" aka "sugar wine." So I'm guessing all I have created is spiced coconut flavored sugar wine lol

why you would even waste your time with that is beyond me. rite aid sells miller high life 12 packs for 6.99 drink that if your broke, i roll pabst for 7.99 but thats just me.

why you would even waste your time with that is beyond me. rite aid sells miller high life 12 packs for 6.99 drink that if your broke, i roll pabst for 7.99 but thats just me.

I get it, it's just an experiment, see what happens. Not saying I'd do it myself, but to each his own. Let us know how it turns out.

LMAO it's food-safe. It's a "2" bucket lol as well as home depot's famous orange buckets. I actually have some old icing buckets from a bakery in the garage that I may try converting as well (split the 5 gallons between two 4 gallon buckets to allow room, and if one goes bad I still have the other, right?). I dumped the hooch/sugar wine/pruno. I didn't want to deal with it. I will clean out the bucket well and might start a beer brew. The coconut rum smell is residual big time (even only after having been in there a day) so I'll have to work on it..

Back