filtering -post fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
there is no need to filter your beer. commercial beer makers filter the yeast out of their beer then force carbonate. home brewers rely on the yeast to carbonate their beer. best approaches to clear your beer is to have an adequate cold and hot breaks, allow for full fermentation (2 weeks minimum), adding spanish moss during boil, cold crashing or letting your beer sit in the fridge for a few days after bottling, and if all else fails use fining agents.

there is no need to filter your beer. commercial beer makers filter the yeast out of their beer then force carbonate. home brewers rely on the yeast to carbonate their beer. best approaches to clear your beer is to have an adequate cold and hot breaks, allow for full fermentation (2 weeks minimum), adding spanish moss during boil, cold crashing or letting your beer sit in the fridge for a few days after bottling, and if all else fails use fining agents.

Don't you mean Irish Moss?

I use a cartridge filter. Just push it from one keg, through the filter, into another keg from the "out" post so it fills from the bottom up. The key is to fill everything with sanitizer and push it all out with CO2. Using positive displacement like this will allow for absolute certainty that no O2 will remain in your keg and you can filter with no fear of oxidation.

Not everyone relys on the yeast for carbonation, I need those boogers to make the alcohol then I filter and keg. Drink it to fast for it to get too old but filtered beer does not last as long as conditioned (not filtered) depending on the style
:mug:

Back