Identity Theft Notices From Midwest Supplies and MonsterBrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimstuff

Reaction score
In the past two months I've received two potential identity theft notices from both Midwest Supplies and MonsterBrew. Both of the letters talk about the credit card info I used with them in the past possibly being "compromised." Unfortunately, a couple weeks ago, someone made a fraudulent charge with my card number on Walmart.com for about $200. I got it straightened out with my credit card company, was issued a new card, and now I check my accounts every single day to make sure there aren't any fraudulent charges. Inconvenience? Yes. Also worrying that two different homebrew retailers have got their systems broken into in the space of a couple months? Yes. So I just wanted to pass this on and remind you all to be careful about your online purchases.

Here's a funny side story: So Midwest does a solid and gives me a $25 coupon code for the inconvenience of identity theft and "undermining my trust." I'm still pretty upset about my card info being stolen, so I think, wow that's cool. Thank you, Midwest President David Kidd. Monsterbrew didn't do that. I'm getting low on hops, so I go online to buy some. 1 lb of EKG, 1 lb of Styrian Goldings, and 1 lb of Czech Saaz = $91.72. With the "Identity Theft Discount" = $66.72. Grand total with Midwest's "Over a Barrel Shipping" = $79.62 for 3 lbs of hops, but the same hops shipped from Nikobrew is only $43.15. That's a difference of over $36, AFTER the Identity Theft Discount! I'm still trying to figure out how to use the coupon on something I need from Mr. Kidd and actually come out ahead...

That coupon is a joke, it just gets you to do more business with them. This has been one ugly situation for all those involved, i'm also a bit worried now about what you've mentioned of homebrew online retailers thats made me consider giving my lhbs bad customer service another shot.

Yeah,this one's been pretty well beaten to death in the other thread about this. Monster brew is a new one though. And once again,I'll say it again...I use paypal on any sight that has it as an option. You have more protection & more legal recourse when you use paypal. Although I do check my account virtually every day just the same.

Chuggerpumps had a security breach within the last month as well. I received an email notice from them.

Whatever group is behind these breaches must really like homebrew :D

I bought a ferm wrap with my $25 "We're so Sorry" coupon. I think it was $29.99, but I found a coupon code online. In the end I just ended up paying shipping costs. About $7, I think?

You have more protection & more legal recourse when you use paypal.

The protection I can argue either way, but the legal recourse... I couldn't disagree more. Paypal can seize your account balance (if you keep one with them) because they aren't a bank. In that case, you have zero legal recourse. They have done this to thousands and thousands of people over the years.

I would be surprised if a single person who had fraudulent charges on their card didn't have those charges removed, or was out of pocket one dime.

I do occasionally use paypal, but I don't kid myself. Unless you lock yourself in the house, disconnect the internet, phones, TV, electricity, etc. you are exposing yourself somehow.

I never keep a balance on there for obvious reasons. Otherwise,while the rest of you are getting jacked,I haven't had a problem. My problem,a couple times came from getting low-jacked through local stores that take too damn long to turn in my pmnt info for their money.

Two weeks ago swmbo noticed some charges on her card, today she received a letter from monster brew saying her card information may have been stolen. A little bit late don't ya think, but I guess I know where she ordered my bday present from

Two weeks ago swmbo noticed some charges on her card, today she received a letter from monster brew saying her card information may have been stolen. A little bit late don't ya think, but I guess I know where she ordered my bday present from

Then it's all good :D (VISA has her protected ;))

Then it's all good :D (VISA has her protected ;))

Thats basically what it said.... keep an eye out and if you see anything let your card company know.....

And I never said it was a visa..... it was you wasn't it ;)

They're still having issue. I tried to order something last week and got an error message from paypal before I could check out. After talking with Paypal customer service they said Midwest was adding additional charges on after checkout (or was tying to)(or a third party that compromised their site was). Either way, I contacted Midwest about it several days ago and they completely ignored the e-mail. So I 'm sure they're scrambling to fix whatever mess is happening now before they admit anything. I say just use Northern Brewer for anything you can't get local. I don't really like NB either but at least your not going to get jacked.

Back