Help with Brew timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrumney

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am 45 minutes into the mash, and I have 2 heifers calving with the toes showing. They need an hour to try, and then I may have to get them in and help.
Will my mash be ok for that amount of time, or should I sparge and take a chance on the boil while I check the cows again?
Thanks!

OMG I love this post! I had to read it twice to make sure I wasnt to drunk.....

If you can wait the 15 mins......drain your mash .....check on cows.....come back and sparge.......then check on cows......

I would be more concerned about leaving the boil....because you could have boilover on hot break....plus you need to do hop additions...etc......less worried about leaving mash longer than 60 mins etc....in fact....the longer the better....no harm there as far as I know....

BTW....where you from? My heifer is upstairs taking a nap...hahaha.....actually she not a heifer...but just had to go with that joke....

Awesome post. Also agree with leaving the mash sit, especially if you have an insulated mash tun (converted cooler, etc.).

Hello, some people on here do 12 hr mash's, leave the mash as long as you need, you'll be ok, just wrap it in a sleeping bag or something to help retain heat.

Cheers and good luck :mug:

Thanks everyone,
Two heifers calved on their own, and had to help a third one!
Sparged and starting the boil now.
Taking the spent grains out to the heifers. Doesn't everyone do that?

Hilarity ensues. If this happens again, I would suggest mashing out. It only takes a few minutes to run off a gallon or so of wort and heat it to boiling, mix it back in and raise the mash temp to 168F+. Once the enzymes are denatured, you can walk away for as long as you want (within reason... ignoring sour mash) and the wort you created stays exactly as you meant to create it; no temp shifts suddenly favoring a different enzyme.

:mug:

Back