Sherry off-flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Alright, so I have a sherry-like flavor in a brew that is 2 weeks in the fermenter.

US-05 pitched at 75F (could not get it colder, was 100F out).
Irish Red Ale
Extract

The fermentation was done when I checked it 3 days later. I took a taste (2 weeks since pitching) and it has a strong sharp sherry flavor. The aroma is spot on.

I was brewing is a new location with new water. The wort for aerated well before pitching, sanitation was kept up to par (been doing this for a couple years), and the fermenter has not been moved since pitching so no chance of oxidation after fermentation.

_______

edit: checked it with another brewer, I think I was just looking for off-flavors. Seems it is just strong in the alcohol flavor, is young. I am used to all grain which gives me a different flavor at this point.

edit: checked it with another brewer, I think I was just looking for off-flavors. Seems it is just strong in the alcohol flavor, is young. I am used to all grain which gives me a different flavor at this point.

That's why I never even sample mine until 3+ weeks in the bottle. If it tastes bad THEN, I probably f'd something up ;)

Although that is a little warm to pitch/ferment at...

Yeah, I knew it was warm, I like it to get at 68, but even with a pre-chiller the temps would not go down. I was brewing at work (yay!), which meant where I was was in direct sunlight, and the 75 was as low as I could get. I was not happy about this, but I had to deal with it. I am tasting this early as I am a bit anxious, and I usually taste my hydrometer samples. Just haven't had a note like this, most things that I do that are high ABV (which this is not) are stouts, so does not really show through as much.

Ambient temp is 70F. Again, at work, so no cool rooms, everything is one set temperature. So it would have SLIGHTLY cooled down, but as it fermented out in only a few days, I think it fermented up there as well. Not my ideal set up by any stretch of the imagination.

I hear ya. I'd guess it's due to the warm temps. I had sherry/wine-y notes in beers before I learned about temp control. Not sure if there's anything you can do but let it ride and see how it aged.
Brewing at work?! Pretty f'n cool!!! (or maybe not so much) :ban:

Brewing at work is cool, I get to spend an afternoon doing that and some light computer work. However, I don't have my ideal setup, had to do extract as I had no where to dump spent grains, and I am completely unfamiliar with the water.

It'll be a fun experiment for sure. If you're able to keep brewing there, you could always try a saison yeast or something that'll do well at those temps. Might impart a different flavor to the beer, but it'll love the temps in the mid/high 70's.

Back