1-Gallon Glass Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
I'm very new to this hobby and am currently 3 days into my primary fermentation. I have the Brooklyn Brew Shop kit, so I only have one 1-gallon carboy. I'd very much like to graduate to a 5-gallon, but I simply don't have the room right now, as I live in a condo that's currently on the market to be sold (minimal is key when selling your place). So with that said, I don't have the luxury of having a set-up of 5 gallon buckets, etc. So my plan is to invest in maybe 2 or 3 additional 1-gallon carboys so I can at least get a few batches going at staggered times. What I'm concerned about though is cleaning these suckers. Is it really that bad? I've found a few websites that give you cleaning tips (like putting rice and vinegar in the carboy and shaking), or using a long wire brush, etc. Am I going to have a hell of a time cleaning a 1-gallon glass carboy?

First - Don't buy any 1 gallon jugs. Buy the 4 Liter Carlos Rossi wines form the grocery store and drink them. They're not bad if you mix them with Sprite.

Then buy a bottle brush from your LHBS, or order one online. DON'T use a wire brush.

I have 6 one-gallon jugs and recommend them, purchase some 38mm screw caps with a hole too (the ones that come with the brooklyn brew shop)

I got two batches bubbling away right now, its great because I always have enough for secondaries and new batches and there is never a bottleneck.

Most brushes won't fit the one gallon. Just add a teaspoon of oxyclean as soon as you empty them and fill to the brim. I do this twice over 3 hours and they are spotless, no elbow grease required.

If you can get your hands on a stand that holds them upside down, your life will be much easier. A quart or so of hot water and a pinch of Oxy, and you're golden. Most of the time the only thing I need to clean is the dried krausen ring around the neck. A bottle brush works fine, although it's a little more more work, and I don't see a reason not to use a wire brush. There may be a very valid reason, but I'm not aware of it.

they are actually quite easy to clean. rinse asap after racking from them if you let the stuff dry its harder. fill with hot water and some oxy clean and the regular beer bottle brush works pretty good on em.

Thank you all for the tips. I've decided that I'm going to purchase 2 additional 1 gallon glass carboys (read that Carlo Rossi bottles may not be able to handle the pressure of primary fermentation). I'm looking here for the carboys:
Carboys and Glass Jugs - Fermentation Equipment - Wine Equipment
I'm assuming I also need some rubber stoppers as well:
Rubber Stoppers - Drilled

Can anyone suggest what size rubber stoppers I need for the 1-gallon carboy?

I'm also getting 2 additional airlocks:
Airlock 3 piece type

Thank you all for your suggestions/help.

Pressure from primary fermentation? Are you fermenting with a cap on your jug? Any pressure will be release through the airlock. If you're CARBONATING in them, thats another story.

Carlo Rossi jugs work great. I use a bottle brush to clean them. Just put a bend toward the bottom of the brush and voila! Mini carboy brush.

There should be NO pressure from fermentation. That's why you put the air lock on it.

Sorry, you guys are right. No pressure during primary. And no, I will not be leaving it in the jugs during carbonation.

Can anyone suggest what size rubber stoppers I need for the 1-gallon carboy?

38mm screw caps with molded holes...they fit a 3-piece airlock perfectly and 5/16s tubing (the tube that comes with the BBS kit you have) they can not come off and are amazing...I bought small bungs but find them pointless when I know my caps can't come off:

38mm Plastic Screw Cap with Hole

Seriously, they are all you will ever need

Back