Consecutive spoilage in same keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triangulum33

Whenever it feels right!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a 3-tap kegerator and I've had one of the kegs ruin consecutive batches. 6 weeks ago I kegged a Tripel and a Pale Ale. The Pale Ale is great, but the Tripel spoiled. 1.5 weeks ago, I kegged a Wheat in the same keg as the Tripel and it spoiled.
I sanitize everything carefully with StarSan each batch. I soak the keg parts and beer lines in SS.
The Wheat was pressurized to 30psi to force carb, and the gas and beer lines were disconnected. 2 days later I had found that the CO2 had leaked out (but wouldnt the beer still be under a CO2 blanket?). I attached sanitized gas and beer lines and let it carb for a week. When I tried it a week later, I found it was spoiled.

The spoiled beer turns brown like a brown ale and has a slight smell and sickly sweet/acrid taste.

Any advice on how I can find the source of contamination and eliminate it?

I'd guess that your keg isn't sealing properly and the beer is getting oxidized. Does it have a medicinal taste to it?

The Wheat was pressurized to 30psi to force carb, and the gas and beer lines were disconnected. 2 days later I had found that the CO2 had leaked out

you're disconnecting the gas to force carb? admittedly i'm a novice when it comes to kegging, but perhaps after that initial 30psi of gas is absorbed into the liquid the remaining pressure isn't enough to keep a tight seal on the lid?

Have you replaced O rings? (unlikely source of the problem).

Do you have a plastic gas diptube that could have an infection in it?

Could the CO2 line leading to that keg have possibly sucked up some beer in the past, and now have a nice little infection in it that's spraying into each new keg you connect?

Thanks Shorty. I dont have a plastic diptube, and I did disassemble the ball locks, o-rings and diptubes to sanitize.
I will check the CO2 line and o-ring seal, though.

Back