I had to do something about the heat.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
Well after not having power for close to three days (damn storms) my house was getting way to hot for my beer. So I went and bought this. Seems to be working pretty well I have been throwing a frozen watter jug in their every once in a while, Last temp reading was 67. Im just hoping the thing does not break from the pressure, this is just a temporary fix until I buy a cooler.

cooler.jpg

They shouldn't break what you did actually takes away most of the pressure on the carboy. Since the beer inside is almost the same density as water the presure inside the carboy is going to be almost the same as the outside. What you did should actually help your carboys.

sause said:
They shouldn't break what you did actually takes away most of the pressure on the carboy. Since the beer inside is almost the same density as water the presure inside the carboy is going to be almost the same as the outside. What you did should actually help your carboys.
I think the OP is referring to the container. Check out how the walls bow in the picture. I like how its supported by other stuff on hand.
Craig

What are your temps in your fermentation area? How often are you adding frozen bottles? Do you ever use a cover? I've been considering something similar until we move this summer. Thanks RR

Ridge Runner said:
What are your temps in your fermentation area? How often are you adding frozen bottles? Do you ever use a cover? I've been considering something similar until we move this summer. Thanks RR

My house thermostat is turned on 75, but this room seems to stay a little warmer so I would say upper 70's. I have just been adding them when ever they are frozen again, Im not even sure if its helping any, but figured it can't hurt. I am going to use the cover but need to cut some holes in it, and also will have to drain some water out so the container will not bow out as much. I picked this up at walmart for 10 bucks so it will have to do until I can get a cooler or a cheap fridge. Being a poor college student sucks.

I have a similar set-up - but with the laundry sink. I taped styrofoam insulation to it and can get 50F temp. (ambient temp 70F) when I add about 2-3L of ice everyday. I used about $25 woth of styrofoam, insulation foam, and plastic and it took my 1/2 hour.

Maybe one day I'll get a fridge/freezer....

Back