Unmalted Wheat - Partial Mash Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiking44

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of Boulevard Wheat. I posted what I learned about it from their lead brewer in another thread. Now I need some help figuring out how to get closer to the right malt combination based on what he told me...bearing in mind I'm a partial mash brewer.

Here's what he said:

"We use approx. 60% Pale malt, 19% unmalted wheat, and 21% malted wheat in our malt bill."

The Pale and malted wheat are easily accomplished with DME/LME (I prefer DME) even though I'll have to live with 35 percent barley rather than pure wheat malt. The question I have is to what extent I can meet the requirement for unmalted wheat by steeping?

Let's say I have this for the recipe:

4 lbs Pale DME
2 lbs Wheat DME

Can I steep say, 2 lbs (or 3 or whatever) of unmalted wheat to get the starches/flavoring required? Or should I just give up trying to use it and go straight extract?

I haven't played with this on Beersmith yet. i wanted to get your input first.

Original Gravity (Plato) 11.3 (1.045 SG)
Terminal Gravity (Plato) 2.7 (1.010 SG)

Thanks

Most wheat extract is around 60% pale and 40% wheat so that alone would be close.

You could mash the Malted wheat with the unmalted wheat. American Malted wheat has very high diastatic power. Flaked wheat will work best for the unmalted protion. I would mash it in a bag so you don't have to worry about a stuck mash, almost like steeping grain.

Back