Dry hopped light beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalnx

Reaction score
I had the thought of making a very light beer for swmbo, but would like to maybe dry hop it with something like Sorachi Ace, cascade, or some other citrus type hop. Would this work, or with the lack of malt body would it be totally out of line. I thought it may have a chance since the dry hopping would add no bittering, but would still put the flavor/aroma in your face.
Who has done this, come on admit it. What happened?:mug:

I've done it before with a pilsner.
The outcome was amazing! The aroma of cascades is a very nice one when used for dry hopping. You don't get that citrus taste. you just get the nice floral aroma. I even had a female friend that chucked her moose head lager at stole my brew because it tasted way better :)

Cool, I was thinking like an ounce for a couple weeks in the secondary. I recently did a SNPA type clone, and used 2 oz cascade for 2 weeks. Seemed to work well with a beer that was about 7% ABV, 40IBU and a FG of 1.003(SG was 1.056). I'm shooting for fairly dry, around 3.5%ABV, bitterness in the 15-20 IBU. This is to be a light, low calorie, beer that still has some desirable flavor.

Also, is there a specific grain/adjunct that I could add to the grain bill in a small quantity to help maintain some perception of body/maltiness while still staying in the light/low calorie area. I am thinking of a roughly 65% 2 row, 30% rice, 5% or so what ever else can help grain bill.

Thanks

I bought some Sunshine Wheat (New Belgium) for the purpose of using the keg in my brew rig. Dry hopped in the corny with Hallertauer (1 oz) and its excellent! I'm an IPA fan and I like it but BMC lovers also love it. It's a great way of expanding the beer horizons of your friends and SWMBO. My SWMBO prefers Pliny though. I'm a lucky man!

Back