Hop experimentation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBasile

Reaction score
So my pale ales have been mainly with cascade/citrusy hops and my last IPA was with galena & willamette. I'm looking to do an IIPA next (after my all cascade PA finishes fermenting) but need some suggestions on what hops to experiment with.

I want to try something NEW.

I like citrusy. One of my favorite combos is simcoe/amarillo. I also like centennial and cascades together.

What type of flavor are you looking for?

Sorry, I forgot the key part of my question. What hops should I experiment with if I want to get a new/different flavor?

I do like the citrusy, but I want something different.

I am currently dry hopping:

9lbs LME
1lb Caravienne
.75oz Warrior@60
.5oz Warrior@45
.75oz Citra@30
.5oz Citra@15
.5oz Cascade@5
.5oz Cascade Dry Hop

I hope it turns out as tasty as the sample I took at transfer.

Ok, thanks for helping steer me in the right direction guys and yooper.

I think I'm going to try Chinook and Fuggles for a spicy/piney flavor. I like the flowery/citrusy I've been getting from Cascade it ones like it, but I'm ready to experiment with a new flavor!

Here's what I'm looking at in terms of the recipe. The vienna and munich I put in my currently fermenting pale ale to add a bit of complexity to the malt bill. I'll take them off the list for the IIPA if I don't like how tomorrows pale ale sample tastes.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
6 lbs More Beer Ultralight 41.7%
6 lbs More Beer Ultralight [Boil for 15 min] 41.7%
1 lbs Vienna Malt 6.9%
10.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L 4.4%
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 15L 3.5%
4.0 oz Barley, Flaked 1.8%
34.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min)
34.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (30 min)
44.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (15 min)
22.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (15 min)
44.00 gm Chinook [13.00 %] (5 min)
22.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min)
28.00 gm Fuggles [4.50 %] (0 min)
1 Pkgs Pacman Propogation Yeast-Ale

I like a complex mix of flavors in my beers, I found
that mixing hops gives me one kind of flavor I like. So I would
bitter with a "plain" hop like Fuggles, then add
Northern Brewer with 10 min to go, then dry hop
with Cascade. I liked this with ipa's and also
brown ales.

Jim:mug:

If you haven't used noble hops much, I recommend trying them.
Hallertau Mittelfruh & Czech Saaz are two of my favorite hops. I make most of my lagers with a mix of Hallertau & Saaz, and they make an interesting IPA too. Both are relatively low in acids, so you'll need more hops to get the same bittering, and Magnum works well for neutral bittering. If you can, I recommend getting the imported versions, not the US grown versions. :mug:

I'm not a huge fan of fuggles and its earthiness (i.e. dirt) taste. Sweetwater just did a Chinook wet hop ale that was pretty awesome when it was first released!

It's got me thinking about an all Chinook IPA.

Latest posts

Back