5.8% AA Saaz?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS68

Reaction score
I picked up some Saaz at the LHBS for my next batch. I was somewhat surprised to se that they were marked "5.8%". Seems awfully high for Saaz. I mentioned that to the guy at the shop, but he didn't comment at all.

Could they actually be 5.8%? I'd hate to change the hopping rates accordingly and have it come out wrong. I believe the last ones I bought there were more like 2.9%. Could these be a domestic version? I Think I've read about domestics tending to have a higher alpha acid content.
Thanks!

Chris

Seems fine to me.

At hopsdirect.com right now:

US Saaz pellet: 6.3 - 7.0%
Czech Saaz pellet: 2.5 - 3.3%
US Saaz whole: 5.8%
Czech Saaz whole: 5.1%

I picked up some Saaz at the LHBS for my next batch. I was somewhat surprised to se that they were marked "5.8%". Seems awfully high for Saaz. I mentioned that to the guy at the shop, but he didn't comment at all.

Could they actually be 5.8%? I'd hate to change the hopping rates accordingly and have it come out wrong. I believe the last ones I bought there were more like 2.9%. Could these be a domestic version? I Think I've read about domestics tending to have a higher alpha acid content.
Thanks!

Chris

Yeah, unless the label says they are Czech, which at 5.8AA% is very doubtful, those are almost certainly domestic Saaz.

Just bought some Czech Saaz at 3.2%. I agree, that seem a bit high for real Czech Saaz so it's probably domestic. It should be fine in whatever you brew though so good luck! :mug:

Very cool. Thanks folks! Looks like I might have some hops left over.
With my Father-in-Law helping out as judge/Guinea pig, I've been working on dialing in a Czech Pilsner. I'm hoping I have enough of my own home-grown Saaz for flavor and aroma. :D

I think Saazer varies more than any other hop. I've seen them as low as 1% and as high as 7. If I remember correctly that was a lot of 1% Saaz out there last year.

I noticed the same thing at my LHBS last weekend. The Saaz were 5.X%. I think they were Czech, but don't know for sure. I had a conversation with the owner about it and he was surprised they were so high too. Perhaps this year's harvest was higher AA than normal.

You can be 90% sure they are not czech saaz. MANY brew stores (and distributors, possibly) mislabel their hops. I've bought East Kent Goldings from morebeer that were very obviously US Goldings (I bought the same exact stuff at my LHBS)

You can be 90% sure they are not czech saaz. MANY brew stores (and distributors, possibly) mislabel their hops. I've bought East Kent Goldings from morebeer that were very obviously US Goldings (I bought the same exact stuff at my LHBS)

I doubt that Hopsdirect would mislabel their hops. I got a pound from them 2 weeks ago with 5.1% AA and clearly labeled Czech hops.

Can anyone describe the characteristics of the US variety (bitterness, flavor, aroma)? I have a pound and would like to brew a bohemian style pilsner if possible. If not, I'll just brew a beatnik pilsner then.

Latest posts

Back