Too Much Air @ Bottling, need opinions!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkewedBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just bottled my blueberry today and I ran into some problems. The blueberries were smaller than the racking cane/tube and even the little protector thing at the end of my racking cane. The blueberries kept getting caught in there and, despite my many efforts, I could not get the flow into my bottling bucket.

I ended up having to, gasp, strain the beer from my secondary into my bottling bucket. This, obviously, created a crap load of aeration. I waited about 15 minutes and then bottled as normal. The beer looks ok, however, I wonder if my bottles will turn into bombs or my beer will be spoiled. Anybody have any news, good or bad, for me?

well, your bottles shouldn't explode since bottle bombs aren't caused by aeration...
it might go stale a little faster than usual, but i'd bet that you don't have too much to worry about if you just drink it after you age it for a few weeks, i.e. don't age it for 6 months.

Similar things have happened to me in the past, without noticeable consequences. Once one of the joins on my siphon wouldn't seal properly, and I had bubbles streaming through the tube throughout bottling. That turned out to be quite a nice beer though.

Relax and have a homebrew. :mug:

Same here. My first brew I had a bunch of air get in through an air leak I had a hard time solving - finally had to go get a hose clamp and later found I had gotten a bad batch of hose.
Nothing bad happened and it was drank up over a two month period of time.:tank:

Back