Corona Type Mills

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dougie63

Reaction score
Whats everyones view on these, I know they are not as fast as roller mills, but you can still hook up a drill to them and make them pretty fast

People like them. Would I use one? N0, using my mill is my favorite part of brew day. If you have the cash buy a better mill, power it with a drill or motor.

I recently broke my corona style mill and bought another. It has always done a great job for me. I put a bolt in the back and hook up a drill and it goes fast enough for my liking. And the price was right.

I use one, and have no issues getting a good crush. It's fast (with a drill), effective, and cheap.

That being said, I've never used a roller mill. Maybe someone will give me one so I can do a side by side comparison...

just getting tired of using the roller mill at the brew store its very inconsistant and for the money the corona type is awsome

I use one and get a good crush. My efficiency varies but I think my problems are not related to the mill/crush. Mine was a Christmas present so the price was great!

If Charley has one it's good enuff fer me. I mounted mine in a 5 gal homer bucket and am very happy with the crush, Lots less moolah than a Rebel or Barley Crusher....
Wheelchair Bob

I ordered a corona but the price was a little cheaper than other places I could find to buy one. When I got it it was actually a "victoria" which is still made by corona apparently. It was brand new so I had to wash some kind of unidentifiable grease off of the parts but once it was nice and clean it was fine. The only problem I have is with mounting it to a table, it slips around a little while hand cranking and I have to hold with my my other hand which gets old after a couple #'s of grain. I need to work on how to mount it more securely but I don't have a countertop that works, I mount on my dinner table.

While true hand cranking is slow and laborious it has a certain kind of charm to it that adds a nice personal touch to the brew day. I usually crush my grains the night before so I can mash-in first thing in the morning since it's time consuming/tiring milling 10#'s of grain. I have no complaints really, and if I really feel the need to attach a drill that means I'm out of shape and have other things to worry about ;)

Whats everyones view on these, I know they are not as fast as roller mills, but you can still hook up a drill to them and make them pretty fast

I've used one for years, if It ever breaks, I'll replace it with another.
With the efficiencies I get, I don't think a roller mill is an upgrade.

I ordered a corona but the price was a little cheaper than other places I could find to buy one. When I got it it was actually a "victoria" which is still made by corona apparently. It was brand new so I had to wash some kind of unidentifiable grease off of the parts but once it was nice and clean it was fine. The only problem I have is with mounting it to a table, it slips around a little while hand cranking and I have to hold with my my other hand which gets old after a couple #'s of grain. I need to work on how to mount it more securely but I don't have a countertop that works, I mount on my dinner table.

While true hand cranking is slow and laborious it has a certain kind of charm to it that adds a nice personal touch to the brew day. I usually crush my grains the night before so I can mash-in first thing in the morning since it's time consuming/tiring milling 10#'s of grain. I have no complaints really, and if I really feel the need to attach a drill that means I'm out of shape and have other things to worry about ;)

This is a flaw in the casting of the base where it mounts to the table. Instead of flat the base is convex so it never makes contact with the corners which would give it stability. I used a file and flattened my base. It works much better now.

I bought an Estrella mill (corona style mill from mexico) last week and mounted it into a 4 gallon rectangular bucket that I picked up from a bakery. My pictures will soon be posted in the excellent thread dedicated corona style mill builds, which, of course, revvy and wilserbrewer have some great posts.

I am so pleased with this mill. The results from my first batch gave me 80% efficiency which was greater than the batches I made from grain crushed at my LHBS using a roller mill. Crushing over 20 lbs of grain with my mill took a little over five minutes with an electric drill. I could have crushed faster but I was enjoying it too much. Yes, I know that sounds ridiculous.

I would recommend the Estrella mill to anyone.

If fellow brewers want to spend an extra 100+ on a roller mill, that is fine with me. However, there is really no need. I spent less than 40 on my mill, bucket mounting bolts and wood.

amandabab said:
I've used one for years, if It ever breaks, I'll replace it with another.
With the efficiencies I get, I don't think a roller mill is an upgrade.

+1
For a $35 purchase from my local hardware store I am happy with the 80% +\- efficiency I get.

I love mine! It's just as fast as my friends roller mill. I also love the intense sound it makes. I bet my neighbors shreak in terror when I get that beast roaring! :rockin:

I almost replaced mine a few months ago, but just couldn't justify it. A roller mill, with all the bells and whistles trumps my brewing budget for the year. That's a tough pill to swallow when I'm turning out a very consistent, clean product. I went the HF drill route as my upgrade instead. Very pleased.

I don't think I would ever consider upgrading. I'm perfectly happy with mine. I'd rather put the extra money toward upgrading my keezer or on sacks of grain.

I have 2 corona mills and a barley crusher. I only got the BC because it was crazy cheap on craigslist and came with a bunch of other stuff. I was perfectly fine with the corona and if the BC ever fails, I will have no problem going back to it.

Also, I like to use raw wheat and the corona is does a much better job with it than the BC, which is why I will not get rid of it.

Back