Will It Ever End?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edds5p0

KN4SQH
Reaction score
I've been in the primary for a week now at about 72 degrees and the airlock is still bubbling right along. My OG was only 1.054 and I'm not used to it going so long. Has anyone else had a normal gravity beer go for so long?

I don't really brew anything "normal" so I'm not going to be horribly helpful in that respect. I have had a brew with an OG of 1.14 take close to 4 weeks to complete.

Just because the airlock is bubbling doesn't mean the beer is still fermenting. You should take a hydro reading if you really want to know!

Just because the airlock is bubbling doesn't mean the beer is still fermenting. You should take a hydro reading if you really want to know!

yep, it could be done, just getting rid of excess co2 (offgassing), or it could be fermenting still. i had a 1.065 ferment for almost 4 weeks with s-04 (robust porter), and it came out great. that's why readings mean almost everything instead of bubbles

You all are awesome for replying so quickly. I decided to put my fear of contamination aside and test it. I am at 1.012, which is where I hoped to finish. Upon tasting, the beer is fizzy and has a very thick, creamy head. I'm guessing the thick krausen is holding in the CO2. Me likey! I was a bit disappointed by the hoppieness as this is a pumpkin ale. Otherwise, a good brew. Should I go to a secondary or let it stay in primary for a while longer?

You all are awesome for replying so quickly. I decided to put my fear of contamination aside and test it. I am at 1.012, which is where I hoped to finish. Upon tasting, the beer is fizzy and has a very thick, creamy head. I'm guessing the thick krausen is holding in the CO2. Me likey! I was a bit disappointed by the hoppieness as this is a pumpkin ale. Otherwise, a good brew. Should I go to a secondary or let it stay in primary for a while longer?

Leave it in primary for a week or two, and then check to see if gravity is still stable. If so, bottle it up. The hoppiness will mellow after conditioning time..

Let it go in primary for another week and then keg/bottle. If it tastes good now, it'll be ready by carbonation, else give it another week or more before drinking. If you transfer to bottles/keg this upcoming weekend, you'll be sitting pretty for Halloween.

at a week, i'd definitely let it sit longer. as kyle suggests, another week or so, then bottle, carbonate for a week or 2, and cold-condition

So I just checked my gravity again, it's down to 1.004. I am a bit shocked that the attenuation was so high. Is this normal? I used Wyeast Aerican Ale II.

So I just checked my gravity again, it's down to 1.004. I am a bit shocked that the attenuation was so high. Is this normal? I used Wyeast Aerican Ale II.

No, that's not typical at all.

Did you check your hydrometer in plain water, to make sure it's accurate?

I'd be worried to have a beer at 1.004. It normally wouldn't ferment that low.

Nope, not normal. There must be more than saccharomyces in there. If you thought it was bitter before, it must be doubly so now.

Taste it and let us know if you're getting any sour or "dank" flavors.

You didn't happen to add a lot of table sugar or dextrose did you?

I added a cup of brown sugar and half a cup of molasses. Everything else was malt extract. The beer tasted good, but it has lost a lot of body and sweetness. There were no bitter, tart, or unpleasant flavors. My hydro is reading dead on at 1.000 in tap water. Could fizz possibly cause my density to read low?

It definitely could, especially if you have bubbles on the hydrometer. It seems more likely that the high nutrient value of the molasses, and the concentrated food of the sucrose, gave your yeast a kick in the but though.

Well, I may just add some lactose along with the priming sugar at bottling time then.

Don't add any non-fermentables unless you don't care for the flavor, and specifically the sweetness level. If it tastes good, then don't mess with it.

kylevester said:
Don't add any non-fermentables unless you don't care for the flavor, and specifically the sweetness level. If it tastes good, then don't mess with it.

I like it, it's SWMBO that I want to please. Odds are I will just bottle a is.

The beer turned out great. It's the clearest I've ever made, the spices are right, and it just needs a bit longer to carbonate. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Back