Worst Commercial Beer You've Ever Had?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PBR is only limited to cool people.I heard you had to have a special id just to buy it.
I guess its not ok to call them Pabst Smears anymore. Or is it?Or isnt it? Or is it.... to be continued until next year.

I thought everyone knew the rule, if you're drinking piss, it's Schaefer or nothing!
"it's the one beer to have, when you're having more than one!"

I don't mind pbr, just another cheapo corn beer, there's a couple bars around me that keep it on tap after it regained popularity out of nowhere.

Heres a good use for it:

12oz PBR
2 packets zesty italian dressing mix
2 jars peperoncinis - juice, peppers and all
3lbs beef roast

Throw it in the crockpot and forget about it for 8 or more hours. Should shred on its own when done, serve it on buns with a white cheese. Gooooooood stuff!

Do we count high school? My mom grew up in Wisconsin, so Blatz swiped out of the 'fridge. Old Style (Dog Style), Stroh's (Shorts), Red White and Blue, Billy Beer (Jimmy Carter's brother took advantage of his bro being the pres.), Schlitz, Wisconsin Club ($2.99 a CASE in college), Hamms, Huber, Spudweiser, PBR (despite what the hipsters say), Busch...there's a good starter list, I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I hit "post".

Magic Hat Wacko. I've probably drank worse beers in general, but this one just creeps up on you. It builds this vile, vegetal awfulness as you sip it. Like fermented borscht. Somehow we wound up with a sixer of it at a party and I had one left in my fridge. That bottle kept winding up at various friends houses for their parties. Kind of like a hidden terrorist assassin. I think some poor soul drank it on Halloween this year...

I've had a love/hate relationship with Steel Reserve for quite awhile. When I was touring in a band and had next to no cash, it was what I drank when I got home. A few 24's, some fights on PPV, and some buddies to catch up with made for a fun night!

Those days have passed, and now, when I catch a whiff of old Steelie, it sorta makes me sick...like real sick, haha. I tried to drink it again recently, and I truly couldn't stomach it.

I also tried some Harpoon winter warmer the other night... Now, don't get me wrong, I'd never compare it to Steel Reserve, but it was pretty nasty. Overly malty, borderline cloying sweetness, with an obnoxious artificial spice overtone.... Definitely disappointed.

I'd have to say Fat Cat was the worst I've ever had. I love the can, but it's dreadful..

Jsmith82 said:
I don't mind pbr, just another cheapo corn beer, there's a couple bars around me that keep it on tap after it regained popularity out of nowhere.

Heres a good use for it:

12oz PBR
2 packets zesty italian dressing mix
2 jars peperoncinis - juice, peppers and all
3lbs beef roast

Throw it in the crockpot and forget about it for 8 or more hours. Should shred on its own when done, serve it on buns with a white cheese. Gooooooood stuff!

I do a very similar recipe minus the beer and dressing mix.

Cave Creek's Chili,Beer would have to be the most undrinkable. Though, I guess I couldn't call it bad. I'm sure it's a fine example of what it is meant to be. The worst would have to be Shipyard's Pumpkinhead. There's no body and no malt backbone to speak of; just an overwhelming artificial cinnamon flavor.

Wild Blue, I picked one up in a mixer 6er and the label drew my eye. It tasted like steel reserve mixed with blueberry abomination. Hands down the worst beer ever

Another nod to Crazy Horse. Got some at party as I "secret santa" gift. Was pretty pleased since I was under 21. The stuff is vile. I think I saw it at the liqure store for $1.99 for a 40. Old E is up there, my college roommates go to favorite. Lastly the plain wrap beer my friends bought for a big party. Even at 17 when I thought coors light and bud dry where the best thing since sliced bread I couldn't get that stuff down.

Well, Leinikeugels berry wheat fruit-loops beer or whatever it was called. F-ing worst beer in history.

Fixed- the only beer I ever poured 5 out of 6 down the drain. My sister-in-law brought them and had (part of) one. After trying to give them away to guests for six months, we finally decided it was a waste of space and dumped them.

There are two for me. That one Chili beer that has the pepper in it. Nasty just tastes and smells like pickles.

The other would be Sam Adams' Blackberry Witbeir. Tastes like perfume to the point that it even has a soapy character. *blech* And I actually like flower flavored things. Though after it sat for a couple of months it did become more palatable.

A couple years ago, I was invited to a party at my supervisor's house. Apparently her church had had some sort of charity event that they had several kegs of beer at, and she had graciously volunteered to take the leftover, untapped keg home. At her party, we had all brought beer, not knowing that she intended to surprise her employees with a keg, so we left it untapped. When my supervisor went on vacation 3 days later, I inherited the still untapped keg ("Here, you're Canadian, so you probably know what to do with this"). Free keg of beer? Hell yes, I know what to do with that. Unbeknownst to me, it was Miller Light. And by this point it had been unrefrigerated in Florida for the better part of a month. I brought it home, put it in a barrel of ice, invited some friends over, put hockey on TV, got out a bunch of pint glasses and prepared to do what one would do with a free keg of beer.... Long story short - after choking down 3-4 hard-fought pints apiece, we put about 3/4 of the keg down the drain and bought a case or 2 of Newcastle...

Moral of the story: There is no such thing as a free keg of beer.

I had a bomber of something called The Physic from a liquor store in CO. The head looked like dish soap bubbles, and when you tried a sip, it actually tasted like soap. Guess they couldn't get a real head and tried to fake it with Dawn.

Wow....thinking about bad beer... I'm old so I remember many...but all time worst had to be a beer I drank in Pottstown PA. It came in a paper milk carton, quart size.... Wow ... I drank it forty some odd years ago.... I think it may have been called "Sunshine beer"..... And I still remember how bad it was.... They told me the brewery closed down when their horse died. But I drank it .... Only beer I could not drink was Watney's Stingo..... I like Malta and could not drink Stingo.... But "Sunshine" was before I began to make my own and had no standards, "Stingo" was after...

Mine was a shiner, I think it was called red ruby or something like that - dumped the other 5 bottles, couldn't even force one more down.

Stone vertical epic 11 was up there for me. Base beer was great, but once that pepper taste hit my palate, I almost vomited. I tried to fight through but couldn't do it

Stone vertical epic 11 was up there for me. Base beer was great, but once that pepper taste hit my palate, I almost vomited. I tried to fight through but couldn't do it

I didn't think it was that bad. Previous incarnations were definitely better, but it wasn't like this was dump-worthy or anything. I'm thinking if I'd cellared it the pepper taste would mellow a bit.

Hub city amber ale. I had it twice. first time it was infected so it was like rotten yogurt and the second time (2 months later) it was.... you guessed it infected! come on guys get your stuff together. It was so bad that i even emailed the company just to give them a heads up.

Löwenbräu for sure. We called it the 8 packs 9th beer in high school. You'd get an 8 pack of Keiths, and 1 tallboy of Löwenbräu to drink when the 8 pack was gone. There was no way you could drink that before you had 8 other beer in you.

It had an okay taste on your first sip, and okay when you swallow, then the aftertaste hits, and it was like if you put some water in an ashtray, and then put some wet ash in your mouth. Pure ashtray.

Löwenbräu for sure. We called it the 8 packs 9th beer in high school. You'd get an 8 pack of Keiths, and 1 tallboy of Löwenbräu to drink when the 8 pack was gone. There was no way you could drink that before you had 8 other beer in you.

It had an okay taste on your first sip, and okay when you swallow, then the aftertaste hits, and it was like if you put some water in an ashtray, and then put some wet ash in your mouth. Pure ashtray.

I think I would rather 8 lowenbrau's before I attempted a Keith's..lol

Qhrumphf said:
I didn't think it was that bad. Previous incarnations were definitely better, but it wasn't like this was dump-worthy or anything. I'm thinking if I'd cellared it the pepper taste would mellow a bit.

I don't doubt that it was good, If you like pepper beers, but when that pepper flavor hit me, I couldn't take it. Also, I had just drank a hobgoblin. I think if I just drank the Stone on its own, it wouldn't have bothered me. It killed me to not like a Stone beer, but that one element of that beer didn't agree with me.

The beer was called Beer 30. It didn't even get close to tasting like beer. It was a dollar at a bar and I had to try it. The bartender warned me, I should have listened.

I don't doubt that it was good, If you like pepper beers, but when that pepper flavor hit me, I couldn't take it. Also, I had just drank a hobgoblin. I think if I just drank the Stone on its own, it wouldn't have bothered me. It killed me to not like a Stone beer, but that one element of that beer didn't agree with me.

Tis the pride of Nova Scotia! But to be honest, since I both quit smoking, and started brewing my own beer, I can't drink it anymore. A combination of being used to better craft brews, and regaining taste buds has exposed what a truely bad beer Keiths really is.

pyth said:

I know a lot of people who insist that hops taste like "ashtray". Can't remember what Löwenbräu tastes like (wasn't THAT bad), but I wonder if that's it.

In Western Pa. if you wanted a case of the runs you drank Schmidts. Hence the nickname here for it was "Schitzs". Not even sure if they brew it anymore. I hope not. Better then prunes and a enema combined.

pyth said:
Tis the pride of Nova Scotia! But to be honest, since I both quit smoking, and started brewing my own beer, I can't drink it anymore. A combination of being used to better craft brews, and regaining taste buds has exposed what a truely bad beer Keiths really is.

I love when people do that. Haha

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Magic Hat beers. I live in KY/TN and it is everywhere. I was excited to find a new beer at first but man it was awful. Especially the not quite pale ale. Horrible...Anyone else ever had it? Explain why it is so off tasting please.
- nick

Sinnick said:
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but Magic Hat beers. I live in KY/TN and it is everywhere. I was excited to find a new beer at first but man it was awful. Especially the not quite pale ale. Horrible...Anyone else ever had it? Explain why it is so off tasting please.
- nick

It's very sweet for a pale. Not a huge fan of it either, but my sister really likes it.

Back