diacetyl in IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wncbrewer

Reaction score
I recently got my scoresheet back from a IIPA. I got dinged pretty bad by two judges for having a diacetyl off flavor (buttery, slick mouthfeel). I could not detect it, not sure if my palate isn't as refined or the hops covered it or what, but two certified judges said it was present and I believe them. I rushed this beer to have it ready in time for the competition.

My question for you guys: what did I do to promote diacetyl production? I'm thinking I simply didn't get give the yeast time to clean it up because I was on a truncated time table. I would like to hear other opinions though.

I used wlp001 with a mr malty prescribed giant starter (1.090 OG) and fermented at 70*. I have read lots of dicussion on this forum about diacetyl production in lagers, but not so much with high gravity ales.

Thanks in advance... I have already rebrewed this beer with no schedule and have high hopes for it...cheers... wnc

Was that 70 degrees on a liquid crystal thermometer on the side of your bucket? If so the internal temp could have 5-10 degrees higher which could have resulted in diacytyl formation.

The thermometer strip read 68, so I assumed 70 in the fermenter. Are those things reliable? It came with the carboy, but I've never really given it much consideration. I don't have temp control, 68 was also the ambient in the room

Who knows, I find the beer competition thing a bit mystifying myself! I know, not helpful, but I responded to this post because I have had a bit of diacetyl in one IPA and it happened when I rushed the fermentation also - kegged after 16 days. Since then I have waited a minimum of 21 days for the primary phase to finish and have no problems. Usually I leave the beer alone for 4 weeks actualy and gradualy increase the fermentation temperature the last week, then crash cool for 2 days-2 weeks. Taking time tends to make my beer, which is always excellent, sublime and god like which causes my friends to think I also am also sublime and god like, not a bad thing really...

FWIW and YMMV,
Steve

stevedasleeve said:
Who knows, I find the beer competition thing a bit mystifying myself! I know, not helpful, but I responded to this post because I have had a bit of diacetyl in one IPA and it happened when I rushed the fermentation also - kegged after 16 days. Since then I have waited a minimum of 21 days for the primary phase to finish and have no problems. Usually I leave the beer alone for 4 weeks actualy and gradualy increase the fermentation temperature the last week, then crash cool for 2 days-2 weeks. Taking time tends to make my beer, which is always excellent, sublime and god like which causes my friends to think I also am also sublime and god like, not a bad thing really...

FWIW and YMMV,
Steve

Yeah I went grain to glass in roughly 30 days on this one. I think competitions are great for getting your beer in front of experienced tasters and getting their feedback, which is why I do it. I think all of my beers are good, and its nice to get another opinion. Most of my friends and family are either bud drinkers or always say its great to protect my feelings/ego. The revised batch got 35 days in primary, and is on day 6 of secondary/dry hop. I appreciate your comment, and feel confident that adequate time will straighten it out...wnc

Back