Chugger Pump Stainless Steel Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the chugger. Works good for me. biggest hurdle is getting the plumbing set up correctly (trial and error) and learning how to overcome trapped air.

I got my Chugger pump a few days ago.
I decided to test it.

I have never used a pump before and I do not have a fancy brew stand yet, so I set up my brew keggle on my turkey burner and hooked up the pump with the 1/2” inch fittings I have on hand.

The pump was about 1.5 feet below the keggle. The input hose was hooked to the keggle ball valve (1/2”) with no dip tube installed. My output hose was routed to the top of the keggle and stuck through the handle hole. There was about 7 gallons of water in the keggle. I changed the orientation of the pump head so the output was on top to ensure all the air was getting out.

It worked fine with cold tap water.
I turned on the propane and heated the water.
I turned the pump on at about 120 degrees. Everything was working great until the water got about 180 degrees and the pump stopped pumping.

I cooled the pump by running cool water through it and it started working again.
Tried the heated water again and it stopped pumping at about 180 degrees.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Check with Mike at Chugger. I've seen the same issue reported on March pumps as well.

I use 3 Chuggers with SS heads on my brew rig and have no issues. I pump boiling wort through my chiller and back to the kettle for a whirlpool and it doesn't usually lose the prime.

It worked fine with cold tap water.
I turned on the propane and heated the water.
I turned the pump on at about 120 degrees. Everything was working great until the water got about 180 degrees and the pump stopped pumping.

I cooled the pump by running cool water through it and it started working again.
Tried the heated water again and it stopped pumping at about 180 degrees.

Can anyone offer suggestions?

Chuggers are basically March clones. This problem happens on March 809s due to tight shaft/impeller tolerances. As seen in this post by Walter @ March, ream the impeller bore out to increase the tolerances. Mind you, that bit size may not be correct for a Chugger. It doesn't take much, so be careful.

My Chugger sits a foot or more below the kettle, outlet up and pumps boiling wort with no problems. Originally I had a bleeder valve which didn't work and when I took it off wort just flows better. My kettle outlet is a 90 degree elbow attached to nipple/ball valve set up. 1/2" silicone tubing with large bore SS barbs from Bargain fittings.

Back