Promash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DeRoux's Broux said:
Denny, when you brew, do a brewing session for the recipe your doing. enter in your OG, and put at what temp the wort was checked. it will make the correction for you and give you an estimated FG.

Thanks. I didn't know that. I'll give it a try.

Sitting here wondering if this damn beer is ever going to finish carbonating and trying not to drink the barlywine I've put away (the rest of) for long term storage.

Moral learned: Don't EVER stop home brewing. It will just throw you out of sync!

What tab in the session does it do the est fg. I see fields for actual OG and FG and est OG but not est FG.

Tounge tied yet? ;)

I never played around with the session part before. I kept putting it off because I was going to do the tutorial, but then I started playing around with the recipe design section and forgot what the sessions were even about!

I think I'll try out the tutorial now...finally.

Unless I'm missing it somewhere it doesn't actually have a field for 'Estimated FG', but if you click on the 'Fermentation' button it will pre-populate the observed FG with an estimate based on the yeast you've selected. You can go back later and write over it when you actually measure your FG.

it estimated mine because i never put in the FG, because it's not kegged yet. it doesn't say "estimated FG" but it does give a FG, like you said, based on your recipe and ingredients, ferm time, temps, etc.

give the ABV and ABW also.

OK, Thanks. I saw that but wasn't sure if it just an arbitrary value or if it was actually calculated. It was giving me a FG of 1.012 and I thought it should be about 1.015 using Windsor yeast. (OG of 1.063)

Do you find you hit the Est FG?

Thanx fellas,

Just did my first all-grain batch using promash, and I was very impressed. The strike temps were very accurate, and my final gravity turned out to be right on. 70% efficiency - not bad..not bad...

We have good steady bubbles this morning!

DeRoux's Broux said:
sounds like all went well for the 1st AG. no good stories to confess????? :~)

Maybe...

My second all grain batch I decided to store (for fermentation) out in the garage. I shoved a blowoff tube down the carboy's throat that led down to a gallon ice cream bucket of sanitizer. As the wort cooled from 75f to about 45 (over a couple of cold spells) the volume of the wort shrank. Thus a vaccuum decided to show up in my blowoff tube sucking up a good deal of the nasty sanitizer. Mama's flowers got drunk that day.

Upset? Nope. The best excuse yet to make more beer.

that's the attitude! eh, we all do goofy stuff sometimes. that's how we learn. is that Monkey Paw from Papazian's book?

DeRoux's Broux said:
that's the attitude! eh, we all do goofy stuff sometimes. that's how we learn. is that Monkey Paw from Papazian's book?

Yes sir! Mama's mums are happy from it now.

I just ordered ProMash...been using the evaluation version to do calculations and I'm tired of having to type everything back in every time!

I wish there was a free, web-based application that did all of this, but that would be a pain to develop. (I'm a web developer by profession.)

i gotta ***** about ProMash. i got my stuff today to brew a ESB tomorrow and decided to use the White Labs Platinum Whitbread yeast strain. well, it's not listed on ProMash! did i over look something where i can add it myself to the recipe?????

oregonNate said:
I wish there was a free, web-based application that did all of this, but that would be a pain to develop. (I'm a web developer by profession.)
The Beer Recipator does a lot of that stuff...not as much as promash, but it's web based and free.

We're all web developers here...and frustrated musicians. ;)

DeRoux's Broux said:
i gotta ***** about ProMash. i got my stuff today to brew a ESB tomorrow and decided to use the White Labs Platinum Whitbread yeast strain. well, it's not listed on ProMash! did i over look something where i can add it myself to the recipe?????

Yes, you can add anything yourself. Just look at the botom of the first window that pops up when you first open promash. Those icons at the bottom are your data base files. Just click on one of those (which ever the other yeasts are stored in) and then click new. A form to fill out will pop up and you can add the details of the item.

I'm at work right now sorry I can't give a more detailed descripton.

Yeah, you can add to the database. What would be nice for the next version is the ability to do that right from the recipe screen. A simple New option with a the database pooping up would be pretty simple for them tp add.

i figured it might be in the brew session area, was going to toil with it tomorrow.

thanks guys, i mess around with it tonight.

El Pistolero said:
We're all web developers here...and frustrated musicians. ;)

Lol, I noticed that trend as well, computer geeks and musicians (I'm both, networking guy and crappy guitarist).

I've been researching AG and find myself more and more interested, which means I'll most likely end up going AG within a month or so, as soon as the money tree blossoms... I have a question: all the recipes say to mash at 152 degrees or whatever, and I understand you use an insulated tun, but will that really keep you mash at the appropriate tempature for a full 60 miutes, or do you periodically have to add hot water to keep it up to temperature? Is starting off with partial mash recipes a recommended approach or should I just look at it like the freezing swimming pool, and jump right into the real thing? I'm still pretty new to brewing in general, hoping to fire out my 7th batch tomorrow, so I'm no expert. Should I stick with extract a bit longer? Most of the posts I've read about converting to AG sound like the converting to kegging posts, i.e. "I wish I'd switched sooner", "I will never go back", that kind of thing. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

With a good rubbermaid cooler, you'll have no problem keeping her at a steady temperature for 90 min.

I tried out my new 36qt Coleman Extreme yesterday and it went from 153F to 151F in 75m which included opening the lid at 10m to check the temp and again at 30m to give it a stir. This was in a 50F garage. As long as you buy a cooler with decent insulation you'll have no trouble maintaining the temp without any additional infusions.

w/ my keg conversion mash tun, wrapped in my thermal insulation blanket, i lose a few degrees over a 60 minute mash. the core temp hasn't changed hardly at all. plus, your not going to get a uniform temp throught the mash in a single infusion.

Back