Help - Jalapeño Blonde Ale, Mr Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgerard

Reaction score
A week or so ago I went to a local brewery and a friend bought me a jalapeño lager. I didn't think I was going to enjoy it as much as I did, but like any good spicy food I wanted more.

I have a Mr Beer classic American blonde ale kit with booster and I was wondering when I should add the peppers? From reading other recipes I have decided on 3 jals and 3 habaneros, I think they should pack enough heat to be able to remove the seeds. But I definately want to taste AND feel the peppers.

Any thoughts or reccomendations?

Would it be better to dice them up and add to the boil, or primary, or sliced into the bottles?

I used 4 Serrano peppers in 5 gallons of IPA and got great pepper flavor. Just quartered them and put in primary for a week, seeds and all. Didn't get much heat from them. For more heat, I would put them in the boil for a bit. Capsaicin, which produces the heat, is an oil (or acts a lot like an oil) and would be better incorporated into the beer during the boil I would expect.

Well, I brewed the ale without the peppers, so I plan on putting them into the bottles. I am thinking 1/8th of a jal and 1/8th of something hotter depending on what I can find locally. I plan on removing seeds/stem, which is why I am using what might seem like a lot of pepper.

How does this sound?

I will use serrano and jalapeño most likely, since those are two I know I can find locally

I made a blonde pepper beer with a blonde recipe and it took 2nd in its catagory in the HBT east cost competition. The one thing that I noted when it went to the national is that it got hotter as it aged. I used 4 sarano peppers in the secondary. I got dinged for how hot it was when it went to nationals. I've got one left and I,m sure its even hotter now.

Okay! I just grabbed 3 serrano peppers, (one extra just in case). I plan on taking about a cup and a half of water and boiling 2 of the peppers thinly sliced for a few minutes.

(This is a 2 gallon mr. Beer batch so I'm using less than you did for your 5 gal)

I will add a few tablespoons of the pepper tea to each bottle along with one of the slices (for looks) at bottling time. I might add more to some and less to others so I can find the "perfect" bottle for myself.

I will probably post bottling results, I will definitely post in a few weeks about my final results!

A buddy of mine who was in town for the weekend and brewing with me convinced me to pop open one of the pepper beers. It was AWESOME!

I'm so happy it turned out, can't wait to see how it conditions! (If it makes it past this week)

I found that it gets hotter as it ages. Good thing it turned out. I am fermenting a gluten free beer that a friend wants me to add the peppers to. GF beer needs time to age so it should be pretty hot when I crack one open.

I believe there is a clear difference in the head of the mr beer kit with peppers and the mr beer kit without, especially the bottles that I put the boiled serrano slices in.
The peppers make a thick creamy head while the kit that I brewed regularly has no head on it.

Rock and roll.

So glad I tried this, I will be doing it again to share with my friends when I get back to school. It hardly had time to bottle condition and I'm down to a 6 pack....

Back