Bottom Drain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adivito

Reaction score
As I am sketching up my new design I was thinking about bottom draining keggles. What does everyone think; bottom drain, or typical front with dip tube? These will be all electric. Opinions?

I like my bottom drain electric HLT. For the BK, that might work if I had a good false bottom to screen out break material and hops debris, but I"m happy with a ballvalve on the side for my BK and MLT.

I'm working on the same thing myself for my new all-electric system. All three of my kegs will be bottom drain using the original opening and a tri-clamp fitting as the drain (cutting out the bottom, instead of the top). I'm making false bottoms for the mlt and bk, and have screen gaskets to keep out anything that slips by.

I bought 2" tri-clamp to 1/2" male npt fittings from KLG stainless on ebay, then ss 1/2" npt elbows and straight pipe from McMaster. I haven't figured out how yet, but I then plan to connect my 3 pump manifold to the valves on each keg with tri-clamps.

I'm going to use ss square tubing to attach legs to the bottom, since it won't be able to sit flush, and I want to be able to move the kegs around for cleaning, etc.

I have bottom drains on both my MLT and BK (I dont have an HLT), and I will never do without them again.

For the MLT, it is a great way to improve efficiency by eliminating deadloss. And for both kettles, it makes cleanup about as easy as it can be. I run a scrubby and some water over the inside surfaces of the kettle, rinse them out with the bottom drain going to a bucket, and I am done. It really is incredibly nice.

One other thing that might be of interest: have recently stopped whirlpooling to get out all of the hop and break material. In stead I recirculate, using a pump, through a paint strainer bag for about 3-5 minutes. I then cool as normal, and catch the rest of the material on the transfer with another strainer bag. This is easy to do, inexpensive, and saves me about 45 minutes on my brew day. I can be done with the transfer and pitching yeast 15-20 minutes after cutting power to the elements and starting cooling.

My MT has always had a bottom drain, which has been amazing. I just recently added a bottom drain to my BK. If you can bottom drain, its worth it, i may end up bottom draining my hlt to.

I have bottom drains on my HLT and MLT and love them. I don't bottom drain in my BK because I whirlpool.

I'm working on the same thing myself for my new all-electric system. All three of my kegs will be bottom drain using the original opening and a tri-clamp fitting as the drain (cutting out the bottom, instead of the top). I'm making false bottoms for the mlt and bk, and have screen gaskets to keep out anything that slips by.

I bought 2" tri-clamp to 1/2" male npt fittings from KLG stainless on ebay, then ss 1/2" npt elbows and straight pipe from McMaster. I haven't figured out how yet, but I then plan to connect my 3 pump manifold to the valves on each keg with tri-clamps.

I'm going to use ss square tubing to attach legs to the bottom, since it won't be able to sit flush, and I want to be able to move the kegs around for cleaning, etc.

My plan is almost the same thing. I think I might go triclamp to reducer to ball valve to elbow to camlock QD. I want the valve closer to the kettle to reduce the amount of liquid in the piping. Going to do this for all three keggles. I will build a table for a brew stand and just leave cutouts for the bottom of the keggle so they sit flat on the table. That's the plan at least.

BierHerr which screen gaskets are you using? I was thinking http://www.gvc.net/p/96/40-mesh-screen-gaskets, the 40 mesh 2" silicone.

I have a two vessel system and both the MT and BK are bottom drain. I've only brewed on it once but it was awesome. I cut holes in a table, attached the triclamps and 90* elbows with SS extensions that come out of the skirt on the table. I love mine so far.

BierHerr which screen gaskets are you using? I was thinking http://www.gvc.net/p/96/40-mesh-screen-gaskets, the 40 mesh 2" silicone.

I went with the 16 mesh 2" silicone .75" high sock screen. I went with the sock screen to give a little more surface area, but probably not necessary at all for the extra price, especially after seeing how small the indent area is. I don't know but 40 mesh might be too fine, and clog easily.

Back