CP's Brew Chart 2.0

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPooley4

Reaction score
[ame]http://rapidshare.com/files/445323364/CP_s_Brew_Chart.xls[/ame]

This is a pretty extensive upgrade to my previous version. If you are considering buying brew software I would recommend downloading this first to see if you really need to spend that money. You should find that this will allow you to:

1. Design recipes with just about all ingredients at your finger tips. Each of those ingredients has detailed info as to their profile and how to use. Just scroll over any of them to see the information.
2. Your brewday is made much easier as well. The brewday section takes care of all the math for you. All you need to do is concentrate on your brewing and make sure to input the necessary information to the chart. It will calculate your expected OG post boil and make recommendations on what you can do to hit your target gravity if your expected gravity is off. You'll also be able to make hop schedule adjustments prior to boiling as well based upon the wort you've got on brewday.
3. Use TH's ez water calc along with ajdelange's water profile recommendations.
4. The yeast pitch tab gives you detailed information on the amount of cells you need for the beer you're making. Let's you know how to get there with liquid yeast or how many packets of dry yeast you'll need. Very similar to Mr. Malty.
5. Very detailed bottle priming calculator with recommended carb levels for each style of beer.
6. BJCP guidelines tab has all of the style guidelines at your finger tips.
7. Designing beers tab is an idea I have as well. I have one beer style there at this time. Want to see what people think. Info was primarily from Ray Daniel's Designing Great Beers book along with some other sources.

All told I wanted to have something that allowed me to design a recipe with all necessary information to do so right in front of me. Got tired of sitting at a table with books, guidelines, etc... all over the place. This allows me to do that. Also wanted to have something that I could take from recipe design all the way to first taste while tracking all the details. This allows you to do just that as well.

I use this for every beer I make. I created a brew folder and have a folder within that folder for each style of beer that I brew (APA, Porter, Kolsch, etc...). You would do a "save as" for each beer and save it in that styles folder. That allows me to have a record of every beer I brew while still having the original program for a new beer.

I have a couple of other ideas for down the road as well. Tab for keeping track of your ingredient inventory, kegging how to/pressure calculator, etc... If there is something that you feel would be a good addition please don't hesitate to say so. I'll also be working on getting this converted to a google doc as well. For some reason it will not map correctly, but I'll get it figured out.

Hope you enjoy it.

cp

http://rapidshare.com/files/444919794/CP_s_Brew_Chart.xls

This is a pretty extensive upgrade to my previous version. If you are considering buying brew software I would recommend downloading this first to see if you really need to spend that money. You should find that this will allow you to:

1. Design recipes with just about all ingredients at your finger tips. Each of those ingredients has detailed info as to their profile and how to use. Just scroll over any of them to see the information.
2. Your brewday is made much easier as well. The brewday section takes care of all the math for you. All you need to do is concentrate on your brewing and make sure to input the necessary information to the chart. It will calculate your expected OG post boil and make recommendations on what you can do to hit your target gravity if your expected gravity is off. You'll also be able to make hop schedule adjustments prior to boiling as well based upon the wort you've got on brewday.
3. The yeast pitch tab gives you detailed information on the amount of cells you need for the beer you're making. Let's you know how to get there with liquid yeast or how many packets of dry yeast you'll need. Very similar to Mr. Malty.
4. Very detailed bottle priming calculator with recommended carb levels for each style of beer.
5. BJCP guidelines tab has all of the style guidelines at your finger tips.
6. Designing beers tab is an idea I have as well. I have one beer style there at this time. Want to see what people think. Info was primarily from Ray Daniel's Designing Great Beers book along with some other sources.

All told I wanted to have something that allowed me to design a recipe with all necessary information to do so right in front of me. Got tired of sitting at a table with books, guidelines, etc... all over the place. This allows me to do that. Also wanted to have something that I could take from recipe design all the way to first taste while tracking all the details. This allows you to do just that as well.

I use this for every beer I make. I created a brew folder and have a folder within that folder for each style of beer that I brew (APA, Porter, Kolsch, etc...). You would do a "save as" for each beer and save it in that styles folder. That allows me to have a record of every beer I brew while still having the original program for a new beer.

I have a couple of other ideas for down the road as well. Tab for keeping track of your ingredient inventory, kegging how to/pressure calculator, etc... If there is something that you feel would be a good addition please don't hesitate to say so. I'll also be working on getting this converted to a google doc as well. For some reason it will not map correctly, but I'll get it figured out.

Hope you enjoy it.

cp

How do I add my own grains into this, I'm spreadsheet illiterate.

Are you talking about adding grains to design a recipe (left hand side) or changing the grains on the right hand side to other grains?

If you look at the bottom of the first page you'll see instructions. Basically under the ingredients area you are going to add each malt you're using, input the amount you're using, the max gravity points from that grain, and the color.

Anywhere you see a blank cell you more than likely need to input information. Let me know if you still have any issues. It's quite simple once you figure out how to use it.

cp

Are you talking about adding grains to design a recipe (left hand side) or changing the grains on the right hand side to other grains?

If you look at the bottom of the first page you'll see instructions. Basically under the ingredients area you are going to add each malt you're using, input the amount you're using, the max gravity points from that grain, and the color.

Anywhere you see a blank cell you more than likely need to input information. Let me know if you still have any issues. It's quite simple once you figure out how to use it.

cp

i want to learn how to add manufactuer specific malts like fawcett halcyon to your list of malts if possible, if not how do I just use the malt in specific recipes using all the statistics from the particular grain. thanks and good work.

You could just use the malt as an ingredient for a recipe. Just type in the name, amount you are using, potential yield/max grav points, and color.

It's not setup to modify the malts/fermentables on the right hand side. It's protected so you don't accidentally delete something. Pm me your email address and I can send you a copy with that section unprotected so you can delete one of the malts and add the one you want to add.

If you have other questions just let me know.

You could just use the malt as an ingredient for a recipe. Just type in the name, amount you are using, potential yield/max grav points, and color.

It's not setup to modify the malts/fermentables on the right hand side. It's protected so you don't accidentally delete something. Pm me your email address and I can send you a copy with that section unprotected so you can delete one of the malts and add the one you want to add.

If you have other questions just let me know.

Thanks CP, I'll just add them in each recipe, thats easy enough. I'm not skilled enough with spreadsheet formulas too start modifying such a amazing piece of work. Thanks for the great tool.

No problem. If we want to come up with a list of ingredients that people would like to see added that would be cool. Whether it's a malt, hop, or yeast I can more than likely get it added pretty easily for the next release.

No problem. If we want to come up with a list of ingredients that people would like to see added that would be cool. Whether it's a malt, hop, or yeast I can more than likely get it added pretty easily for the next release.

It would be a pretty big list if you start getting into all the manufactuer specific stuff. I think it might be best to leave it like you have it with mostly generic commonly used types.

There were two cells in the brewday section that were locked mistakenly. If you have downloaded the Brew Chart please re-download here:

[ame]http://rapidshare.com/files/445323364/CP_s_Brew_Chart.xls[/ame]

I gave it a test run with an American IPA recipe last night and it worked just as intended. Will make your brewing and brewday a little easier if you let it.

Hope you're enjoying it.

cp

Thanks, I'll get that updated.

Yes, on the upper left hand side of the first tab you'll see a section called "recipe info". It's the top right hand cell of that section.

Hope you enjoy it.

cp

The mash amount for a test recipe seems a bit high. What is the ratio you use to figure that out?

Also, what is the "Mash ratio" cell?

It's set up to optimize efficiency by getting 50% of your boil volume from the mash and the other 50% from the sparge. The calculation in the mash ratio is based off of Ken Schwartz's work - http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/files/nbsparge.html - the calculation in that cell is - (E13/2)/C25+0.125) - Mash ratio is the ratio of water to grain

You can find additional analysis here - http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Batch_Sparging_Analysis

If you want to post your test recipe it may allow me to see/understand/answer your questions better as well.

If you have further questions please don't hesitate to ask.

cp

I wanted to thank you for the help with my questions. I brewed my first all grain today and your spreadsheet is money in the bank. It told me I should be at 1.052 and I ended up giving a little bit more to the turkey fryer gods and ended at 1.053. Fixed it with a little bit of sanitized water. I own BA but find this more user friendly for the new brewer. Seeing it all without scrolling around it great. Big time "On ya"

Thanks Senior Beer. Glad it worked well for you.

I got most of the remaining work done on my latest version tonight actually. Shouldn't be too much longer and I'll be posting version 3.0. Will be an extensive upgrade that you'll hopefully like as well and find more useful than 2.0.

Good luck with your brews going forward and if you have any questions in the future don't hesitate to ask.

cp

Back