Will adding more sugar enhance alchohol content and body?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogbrit

Reaction score
At the risk of having done something REALLY stupid as a noob I'd like to seek the wisdom of the forum on the following. Ive recently started adding an extra 1lb of sugar to the home brew beer packs I buy (Im on my 5th in two months). Im hoping to up the content and body of the beer as a result. I cracked open a Bock after a week in the primary, a week in the secondary and 3 days in a bottle (I know - I just COULDN'T WAIT).

Amusingly it tasted like a flat root beer that had an extra 1lb of sugar poured into it.

I know I have to wait - but anyone prepared to end my suffering and tell me NOT to add 1lb of corn sugar to boils of future batches? I really want a stronger beer that I can savor - not quaff.

Many thanks, Im sure my dentist will continue to love me what ever the outcome.

BDB.

it will have more alcohol. The body will be thinner because of aforementioned alcohol.

alcohol, yes

body, no

if you want to add body and alcohol add more malt. Plus, let that beer sit longer in the primary and secondary. and a minimum of a month in the bottle before passing judgement on a new beer

Just be careful not to overwhelm your yeast. with a Bock, I probably wouldn't add corn sugar. You might add DME. That will increase your alcohol but the body won't take such a hit. As far as how much, I'll leave that to the experts on here. Luck - Dwain

Best thing to do is start with a recipe and/or kit that is designed to be high alcohol rather adding a bunch of sugar and screwing up the balance of the beer you are making.

Adding a pound of sugar will not make your beer sweet, it will dry it out. If your beer is sweet, it probably wasn't finished fermenting and you may have made bottle bombs.

try making a simple syrup with belgian candy sugar and adding that in. you'll still lose body, but you get a more complex flavor than just dme or dextrose. never tried it before, but it sounds like an interesting experiment.

Back