white film on top

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone, first time poster.

I have been making a lambic, what I did was brew a normal ale type concoction. Then when I put it into secondary fermentation I added oak chips soaked in wine (the oak chips were once part of an oak barrel used for oregon wine) and also added some lambic bacteria (forget the name, have it in my journal).

My plan was to then age it in the secondary fermenation for 6 weeks, at the end of this time a white film (about 1/4 inch thick) appeared at the top of the fermenter. What is the cause of this, and is that supposed to happen (you know the sign of a bacterial infection?)?

The beer tastes fine (well sour, like its supposed to).

Thanks

Depends on the strain, but since you added 'lambic bacteria' you're indeed getting your secondary fermentation. That film you see is called a pellicle and it's supposed to do that.

I didn't even get a pellicle on my Belgian Lambic Blend yeast until after 3 months. You should probably wait until the white film falls on it's own before bottling... which will probably be around a year.

shucks I actually already bottled. Once I get my own place (long story) I'll try again. Timeline is from mid november to mid March, so I gave it about 4 months in secondary fermentation. Thats what happens when life gets in the way

get ready for some bottle bombs. And no idea as to when that'll happen. Also, you'll probably get a pelicle(sp?) in the bottles.

I didn't even get a pellicle on my Belgian Lambic Blend yeast until after 3 months. You should probably wait until the white film falls on it's own before bottling... which will probably be around a year.

Damn 3 months, I pitch my bugs in Dec of 08 now I am finally seeing my holy white pelt I been waiting for. I will wait till this drops then rack on to 10lbs of cherrys then wait another year!

Back