American Amber Ale Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jescholler

Reaction score
For my second batch, I would like to develop my own recipe. I used a recipe kit for my first. I want to do an American Amber Ale using ingredients that are easily available to me. Some friends have gold DME and they have grown their own hops so I would like to use them. I know the hops fit right within the style, but I'm unsure of the DME. I want follow the KISS rule, and hence the simplicity of my recipe. Maybe in the future, I can try a PM with Munich. Let me know what you think.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated FG: 1.012 SG
Estimated Color: 13.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 33.0 IBU
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Fermentation Temp: 65F

Ingredients:
------------
6.0 lb. Northwestern Gold DME (5-10L)
1.0 lb. Crystal Malt - 60L
1.5 oz Cascade [5.5 %] (60 min)
1.0 oz Cascade [5.5 %] (15 min)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Needs more late addition hops IMO. I think the 60L is fine, it may even turn out a little darker than you think since I assume you will be doing a partial boil.

As it is now, you won't be getting too much in the way of flavor, and little to no aroma. Try moving around the additions to keep the same bitterness level, but getting more of it from later additions (less than 15 minutes). Too get any aroma, you will need to dry hop or add a flameout addition.

BJCP said:
American hops, often with citrusy flavors, are common but others may also be used.
Wiki said:
Most commercial examples use one or a blend of the "Big C"s - Cascade, Chinook, Centennial - as part of the defining character. Avoid domestic varieties based on European ancestors (Willamette is a Fuggle cultivar, as Liberty is Hallertau.

Seems the wiki needs to better reflect the BJCP's opinions.

I think this the most important fact about this style is in the guidelines.
BJCP said:
Can overlap in color with American pale ales. However, American amber ales differ from American pale ales not only by being usually darker in color, but also by having more caramel flavor, more body, and usually being balanced more evenly between malt and bitterness.

I believe a pound of Crystal 60L is straddling the fence between APA and Amber. It certainly will not be a red. 1oz Roasted would do it.

This is my first recipe that I've tried to develop, so I appreciate all of the feedback. I do have a couple of questions though

I believe a pound of Crystal 60L is straddling the fence between APA and Amber.
What characteristic are you thinking about here?

It certainly will not be a red.
What ingredient is it that makes the color amber? My initial thought is that it's the crystal. If so, how would one choose the crystal to make a pale ale, amber, or red ale? Or what other grains would one add to differentiate the styles.

1oz Roasted would do it.
I'm not familiar with what you mean by roasted. How would I go about getting roasted crystal versus normal, or are they the same? If I lower the crystal down to 1oz. that makes the projected SRM about 9, which falls out of the AAA style and into the APA style. Im I not thinking of it properly?

Again, thanks for the feedback.

I just plugged it into Beer Calculus and get 11 SRM. That could be either a pale or amber ale by the BJCP guidelines. One pound crystal in a 1.050 beers is on the high end for a pale. This beer is a caramel-sweet pale or a bland amber. Any roasted malt would push it firmly into amber ale territory. About an oz of Roasted Barley, Chocolate malt or Carafa would add a little flavor, some color and also bring something unique to the beer. I really like the freedom in the amber style.

I'm sold on the roasted barley!

I see what you were getting at Conroe...the 60L crystal plus 1oz. roasted malt. Sounds good.

As far as the dry hopping goes, I'll give it some thought. It's new to me, but I've got a lot of time to learn. I'll add that one to the list.

Back