F-ing Hydrometers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
Shattered glass all over the counter... damnit! Why do these ****ers break so damn easily. Bump them into any hard surface and it's like they're filled with explosives, they just shatter all over the place like a lightbulb. Don't these people know that we drink before handling those things?

I have probably gone through at least half a dozen hydrometers, I need to start keeping a spare around.

refractometer. you could have bought one by now with all you've been through.

refractometer. you could have bought one by now with all you've been through.

It's way more $ up front, and I'm cheap. I really should get a refrac though, I really don't use the hydro much anymore except checking my efficiency, and it would help while fly sparging.

It's way more $ up front, and I'm cheap. I really should get a refrac though, I really don't use the hydro much anymore except checking my efficiency, and it would help while fly sparging.

$30 too much? On of the best beer gadgets I own. A must if you are AG IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wine-Alcohol-Grape-Refractometer-0-25-VOL-0-40-Brix-A1_W0QQitemZ330294848952QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item330294848952&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50

How hard is it to take a FG reading with a refractometer? I didn't think they did FG all that well..

It requires consulting a spreadsheet because it has to be calculated in respect to the OG, but that's the only additional step.

And I'm pretty sure beersmith has one built in.

$30 too much?

I've never seen a $30 refrac, and have never heard of Easy Life Products, so I'm not sure if I want to do business with them. I've had bad luck with unknown online retailers. About $60 is the cheapest I've ever seen, it's $80 at my LHBS. That's 4 batches of beer, and I can get by with a hydrometer, it just takes a little more work. I just get pissed when they shatter.

I've never seen a $30 refrac, and have never heard of Easy Life Products, so I'm not sure if I want to do business with them. I've had bad luck with unknown online retailers. About $60 is the cheapest I've ever seen, it's $80 at my LHBS. That's 4 batches of beer, and I can get by with a hydrometer, it just takes a little more work. I just get pissed when they shatter.

that was a random ebay sale. They're all over the place for $30. I think I got mine shipped for $30 about a year ago.

22.99 refractometer
I bought one about 6 months ago

Back