Cabot Habanero Cheese - the pinnacle of cheesy pain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I got news -- I was kinda disappointed by my cold-smoked version.

It's not the smoke -- it's the cheese. The smoke just doesn't go well with it, and really takes away from the main flavor of the cheese. I'd recommend in the future, just letting this cheese be and enjoying it for what it is --- spicy as hell.

My other blocks of smoked sharp cheddar and pepperjack were excellent, though. Something just doesn't mesh well with the Cabot Habanero.

Love that there is a thread for this cheese, picked it up because I like hot foods but MAN does this kick your ass!!
You cant pair it with anything because it just takes over whatever you throw at it.

Think I will melt it down with some heavy cream, scallions, sharp chedder to cut it and some IPA for a beer cheese dip!

Love that there is a thread for this cheese, picked it up because I like hot foods but MAN does this kick your ass!!
You cant pair it with anything because it just takes over whatever you throw at it.

Think I will melt it down with some heavy cream, scallions, sharp chedder to cut it and some IPA for a beer cheese dip!

Go easy on melting it down. Don't use a lot, as it just doesn't have that great texture that melting Velveeta, etc, would have. Sometimes when I make Rotel, I'll take maybe an inch or two's worth of a block and slowly let it melt into the already-melted Velveeta. It turns out pretty great.

slice it thin and serve on tortilla chips or triscuits.....

LOVE that they had the balls to make this cheese so effing HOT!! Usually food for the masses has to fall into a certain range....

This cheese falls into the "only 5% (or so) of americans will buy this more than once" range. AWESOME!

LOVE that they had the balls to make this cheese so effing HOT!! Usually food for the masses has to fall into a certain range....

This cheese falls into the "only 5% (or so) of americans will buy this more than once" range. AWESOME!

I might single-handedly be keeping this cheese on the market. I love it. I'm in love with it. I want to have babies with it.

I might single-handedly be keeping this cheese on the market. I love it. I'm in love with it. I want to have babies with it.

*ALERT*

You sir, could not get much cooler......REPENT!!!!! before you hit the ceiling and burst into flame.

Many of us here cannot hear the sound of ourselves typing over the sound of your awesomeness.....

Be considerate, let your inner ****** shine through once in a while.

Sweet! I'm in the 5%!! Go me!

Go easy on melting it down. Don't use a lot, as it just doesn't have that great texture that melting Velveeta, etc, would have. Sometimes when I make Rotel, I'll take maybe an inch or two's worth of a block and slowly let it melt into the already-melted Velveeta. It turns out pretty great.

Interesting, thx for that.

Nothing I hate more than melted grainy cheese...

Interesting, thx for that.

Nothing I hate more than melted grainy cheese...

In general, REALLY good cheddar does not melt well.....

That said, you could make a perfectly good cheese sauce starting with a roux.

Brown the roux slightly (butter/flour roux)

add milk slowly off the heat stirring vigorously...Put back on heat and boil to thicken.

Take off the heat and add the cheese. Stir until dissolved, slowly re-introducing LOW heat if needed, re boiling will screw it up.

cheezydemon3 said:
In general, REALLY good cheddar does not melt well.....

That said, you could make a perfectly good cheese sauce starting with a roux.

Brown the roux slightly (butter/flour roux)

add milk slowly off the heat stirring vigorously...Put back on heat and boil to thicken.

Take off the heat and add the cheese. Stir until dissolved, slowly re-introducing LOW heat if needed, re boiling will screw it up.

Also the perfect start to real macaroni and cheese!

and mustard powder. with a nice brown ale used in place of some of the milk.

Great, that's just great. Now i HAVE to have macaroni and cheese.

While I LOVE the Cabot Habanero, I wouldn't describe it as a scorcher. My kids would, they won't eat it... but I'm that ******* everyone knows who pours hot sauce into what he's cooking, spills some on his hand, and licks his hand clean.

One thing I love to do with this cheese though... you know those boring-ass frozen burritos? Stick a slice of Cabot Habanero on there and it BARELY needs any sriracha! :eek:nestar::eek:nestar::eek:nestar:

Oh man. This cheese is great. I ate a bunch last night with spicy pickles and beer at a BBQ.

Resuscitating this thread. I haven't had this in a while since my grocer stopped carrying it, but a local Costco stocks it so I have a new two pound block. I need to remember to try smoking it this time.

Om nom nom...

Back