What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Leadgolem said:
Did you have a persistent infection or something?

No the airlocks were vented silicone stoppers I'm using them for aging. The bungs just cause I wanted them and hoses just because I'm crazy like that I just wanted new hoses.

It was a busy yet good day on the beer-drinking (err, beer *making*) front.

First, I had to empty a 6-pack of Anchor Steam Ale so I would have enough bottles to bottle my first batch of homebrew this millenium. Check :tank:

Second, I cleaned and sanitized everything in preparation for bottling said homebrew. I am playing with 1-gallon batches, this is a Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA kit. Check!

Third, I remembered that, no matter how well you prepare the basins and siphons, bottling can resemble a struggle with a sanitizer-and-flat-beer-spitting anaconda. A drunk and angry sanitizer-and-flat-beer-spitting anaconda.

Fifth (no, damn, Fourth) after cleaning the flat beer and sanitizer off the ceiling and walls of my kitchen after bottling 8 whole bottles, I realized that I needed to start back at the first step and empty some more bottles :drunk:

Seventh (seventh, damn you...this is my reply, not yours! Get out of my kitchen...unless you have some homebrew you'd like to share :drunk:) I also received my next kit, Northern Brewers White House Honey Ale. I think I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Oh yeah, during the process of bottling I sampled the trub from the fermenter - beer milkshake! Seriously, the Brooklyn Brew Shop Everyday IPA *trub* tastes pretty darned good. Can't wait to crack the first bottle in a few weeks. Not bad at all.

I looked up how to make myself a mash tun and wort chiller without spending a **** ton of $...when I get home from school I got a little project lined up...oh and a drank a few home brews from my last batch of course

Got my whirlpool fittings installed.

image-2057512196.jpg

image-3897699729.jpg

Made a pretty large order for all-grain stuff (mash tun, thermometer, and a mash paddle) and some ingredients for a bitter, and a milk stout that I'll be brewing early next week. I'm excited to finally start brewing all-grain, I can see an order for 50 lbs of 2 row, and a pound of Citra in my near future....

Finished turning a piece on the lathe for connecting the paintball tank to the beverage regulator. Tomorrow, simple carbonator caps. Sure, I could buy these parts, but that costs money. I have material laying around from other projects so its free!

mcbaumannerb said:
Is that the same wedding where you're trying to clone that Cigar City brew, or is this a different one?

This is a different wedding. This wedding is super simple, 10gal cream of 3 crops and 10gal Centennial Blonde. The other wedding is in December, 5gal of Cigar City Moat Water, bottled in 750's for the wedding party souvenirs, not general consumption. That's the one I'm stressing over, 3 of the groomsmen own bars in downtown Orlando. They are supposed to have one 750 to drink and one to bring to the 1st anniversary party.

Shipped a water sample to Ward laboratories.....been 1.5 years since I have had it tested and want to get an updated test before next brew day

I ordered enough supplies for 2 batches of beer from midwest a couple hours ago. Also got some more PBW,but finally found a bucket lid tool! No more sore finger tips from tight lids. Had to search it on midwests' site,couldn't find it under equipment,etc. With a dollar store rubber mallet to tap the lids down tight,life is going to get a little easier.
And that dark,smokey lager will be great to smell in the BK. It & my Hopped & Confused alewith that ale/kolsh yeast wl029 will be an interesting upgrade from the Cooper's ale yeast packets I used on version1.

Bottled a batch of sour cranberry ale for next Christmas. Lots of things went wrong with this batch, so that being said... All bottles stored in a waterproof vented "overpack" in anticipation of bottle bombs. Hydro sample looks like red wine, tastes tart like a dry red wine too.

SourCranberryalehydro_zps817fb94f.jpg

I had two of my beers judged in a private contest. They both came back as drinkable and as having good potential, but basically mediocre as judged.

I BOUGHT "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing", and ingredients for my version of Orfy's "Boddington's Bitter".

My intent is to make something these same judges will be dumbstruck by.

....(((dammit))).

Brewing a 12.5 gallon batch of petite saison in a keggle. Wish me luck.

Researching all grain techniques, so I'm ready to do my 1st AG batch next week. Also reading 200 Clone Brews to get an idea of what I'd like to brew for this spring.

Just autoclaved a bunch of slant vials to start up my yeast bank. Also innoculated a few plates with 3787 and Pacman from a bottle of Imperial Younger's Special Bitter.

Cleaning day for me: fermenters, brew pots, mash tuns, hoses, kegs, etc. Plus bought 50# of 2-row and 3# of roasted barley. Big brew day tomorrow, and time to keg my Sculpin clone. Tastes pretty damn close (from memory) in the fermenter.

Yesterday actually - brewed up a whiskey rye porter, pulled off some samples of my arctic brown ale and the black coffee RyePA, and prepped the cold steeped coffee to add to the primary of the black coffee RyePA.

Just ordered supplies from Farmhouse brewing for a wheat recipe and the Avery Old Jubilation clone

Added the cold steeped coffee to the black coffee RyePA. Waiting for the obvious sign of fermentation from yesterday's brew session (not yet worried enough to pull a hydro sample). Watched a couple of old episodes of BrewingTV while I ran on the treadmill.

Got about 90% done on my first MLT. Still need the false bottom an pick up tube. I made an insulation wrap and lid for this right after this pic too.

image-2282611587.jpg

Racked my Kolsch to the secondary to continue layering in the garage for a few more weeks. Bonus was finding my stir bar in the bottom of the bucket instead of pitching it with the trub.

Kegged 5 gallons of BM's Centennial Blonde and 5 gallons of Cascade IPA; currently soaking the fermentors and equipment and thinking about a pregame home brew.

EDIT: And finally paid for a membership (actually last night) because of everything this site has done for my beer.

Put together my 15 gallon boilermaker. Reogranized my top tier as a two tier. Capable of doing 10 gallon low abv batches now.

Back