Do you remember?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
Your first craft beer?

I remember mine was Arrogant Bastard. All i had ever consumed to that point was Bud and MGD. I tasted instantly thought it tasted like S*** lol. I put the bottle down for several years and didnt taste it again. I tried many others in the mean time and was pleasantly surprised that beer could have a different flavor that colored water! Needless to say i tried AB again in the more recent years and found it to be f****** amazing.

Cheers.:mug:

Heh, mine was a HB pale ale.
My first words was.. this isn't ( insert your favorite BMC beer here ).
My first non-home brew craft beer was a local micro.. and my first words was... it tastes like home brew

Mine was fat tire, which isn't all that crazy and while it wasn't awesome it was drinkable. I then got a terrapin 12 pack mixer and hated everything that was hoppy. Slow transition and everything is good!

I'm not entirely sure. I suspect it was either our local brewery's red ale or Starr Hill's Dark Starr Stout. It's possible it could've been Magic Hat #9.

Somewhere around Dec of 1996, Liberty Brewing's Anchor Steam and to this day still one of my favorite styles.

When your only 15, then beggers can't be choosers. LOL! I believe it was a Mirror Pond Pale.

Blackened voodoo. I remember thinking it tasted like metal. St bernardus abt 12 is what ultimately turned me on to tasty beer though.

If it qualifies as a "craft" beer, pretty sure Sierra Nevada Pale Ale was my first, I remember thinking it tasted like bitter grapefruit. Still one of my favorite beers of all time.

I remember the first time I drank a SN Bigfoot. I thought my eyes were going to pop out.
I put the rest of the sixer in the back of the fridge and considered taking it back. Then I decided to man up and try another. With each one I enjoyed it more and more. Never thought I'd like a beer with 90bu.

Half the time I can't remember what I had for breakfast, so remembering back many years ago.............

It probably was a Bell's Amber but I am not sure. I do know that was one of the first craft brews I drank regularly.

Spencecore24 said:
Your first craft beer?

I remember mine was Arrogant Bastard. All i had ever consumed to that point was Bud and MGD. I tasted instantly thought it tasted like S*** lol. I put the bottle down for several years and didnt taste it again. I tried many others in the mean time and was pleasantly surprised that beer could have a different flavor that colored water! Needless to say i tried AB again in the more recent years and found it to be f****** amazing.

Cheers.:mug:

I had a similar story. A bunch of my buddies in college used to take a weekly trek to Beers of the World in Rochester. They had everything. I was used to drinking Genny light and Busch at that point. One of my buddies brought back a bomber of Arrogant Bastard and told me to give it a try. Needless to say I thought it was disgusting. It wasn't until after college that I truly discovered craft beer but to think back on how I missed out makes me sad. Oh well, better late than never!

Is Yuengling considered a craft beer? If so it was probably Yuengling Lager.

Other than that it's hard to say but probably something like Sierra Nevada or Saranac. I didn't know it was craft beer at the time though.

Kenzinger from Phila Brewing Co. Didn't like it, but liked Woodchuck. Next was a milkstout (left hand, maybe?) from the Yardhouse in Tampa or guiness. I liked those better. These and Yeungling were my first beers.

Somewhere around Dec of 1996, Liberty Brewing's Anchor Steam and to this day still one of my favorite styles.

And the first 6 pack was Lest Hand's Saw Tooth Ale, and to pay $7.00 for a sixer in the late 90's was a $hitload of money but I was single.

Henry Weinhard's Private Reserve.

It was my 11th or 12th birthday party and the parents hung around for the evening with a huge bucket of beer and ice. Parents left and the sleepover part started. Seems like nobody felt like putting away the unopened bottles with a group of middle schoolers looking for something to do. :)

The one I attribute many things to, most of all starting to love craft brews, was Redhook ESB! I was between 21-22 years old and it just finally clicked... I remember stealing from my parents when I was younger and thinking it was crap though.

I remember my first craft beer, Miller lite. Wow, light body, astringent bitterness from subtly flavored hop additions, amazing clarity, less filling too! i will never forget it.

Harpoon IPA. Mid 90's I'd guess.

At a small (but very excellent) seafood place nearby called Guppies. My wife and I were having a quiet dinner, and I got this beer and while drinking it I realized there was more to beer than what I'd known. Later that evening we would take a walk across the street along the Gulf of Mexico, romantic with the sound of the surf, but the taste of that hoppy beer was the savory soundtrack to my evening.

Haven't had one in quite a while... I think I'll reminisce this wkend :)

If I remember right it was a sierra nevada Pale ale at a Greatful dead show in about 1989. Of course the night is a littl fuzzy so i could be wrong.

I was raised in the religion of good beer.

I used to steal bottles of Sam Adams mix packs from my dad when I was 15-16....

Didn't try Macro Brew until college..

Back