Growler goes Boom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coeceo

Reaction score
So I bottle my second kit and used a few growlers in the mix. Two of which I had already bottle with (plastic caps) with no problems. Third one was a new one I got second hand (metal cap with some foam to seal). I go down to chek on them after a little under a week and see a weird beer spray like arc around this third bottle. Looks weird and is not fresh because its already a little sticky. I touch around the cap assuming it blew its gasket (literally) and its dry, I go to pick it up and the bottom stays on the shelf, emptying 64 oz onto my socks.

Sounds like an uneven mix of priming sugar perhaps leading to an over charged growler (I will do the gentle stir while bottling technique next time.

Also the break was weird, it was like the bottom was cut off, almost a perfect line right around the very bottom of the jug, leaving a flat little glass dish behind (a little bit curved up on the edges).

Anyone seen this happen? Bad growler design? Defect? Should I return the other ones from the same brewery?

That's pretty common for broken bottles from my experience. It's highly likely the weakest point in bottle/growler design.

You gotta just get some Sam Adams and use the empties instead of bottling with growlers. They're expensive and better used for other things than bottle bombs.

bummer. pics?

Poorly mixed priming sugar-too much in the growler?

Weak growler? Weird b/c usually they offgas before busting since the lid is not so airtight as a bottle.

I was surprised the first time the bottom dropped out of a bottle, but the corner is a focus for stress. Also, you are more likely to have flaws, bubbles, etc. in the corners.

Sounds like you have a solution to poorly sealing growler caps, though.;)

Growlers aren't really designed to handle the pressure from bottle-conditioning. While you can make it work sometimes, I don't think you'll have very good results.

Others have reported very good results bottle conditioning in 2l soda bottles, which are designed for pressure.

Yeah I've got mostly Sam Adams bottles, just much easier to clean a couple growlers instead of a dozen bottles.

I've heard about that 2 liter move and may do that for a batch made for a camping trip. Also going to keep some plastic 16 oz Miller Lite bottles sold at the store near me, I think they will work just like any reusable PET.

I'll see if I can link a pic when I get home.

Saw this thread linked from some other one, and didn't stop to look at the date before I posted. Yea, super old thread!

Well, its back from the dead soooo....

I was looking at growlers a while back and found out that the screw top ones are not made to hold pressure. Only fliptop ones are (something like 50psi).

I bought a sweet flip-top growler at DuClaw Brewing at Arundel Mills in MD. Had to wrap it up to get it home in my luggage. Not my pic, but the same growler.

growler.jpg

most brewpubs by me you can get a fliptop growler that is filled for less than what you would typically pay retail for them.. i'm assuming because it s combination of them buying them in bulk + you bringing it back multiple times to fill 'er up

Back