Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jarrodaden

Reaction score
So I have looked through this section and read plenty about washing yeast and slanting. I am looking to do something more simple (I think).

Assuming I was going to make a series batches using the same white labs yeast, couldn't I make a starter from the original vial, split it into about 5 part using sanitized mason jars and then refrigerate them for later.

When ready for use, I could warm them to room temperature, and make a yeast starter for each brew on an as needed basis.

The only thing I am not sure about is the amount of time that the jars of yeast would stay viable in the fridge.

Yep, this is a pretty common procedure around here. The viability of the yeast will be the same as that of the original except it will start at the date of your yeast starter since that's when those yea sites were born.

So I have looked through this section and read plenty about washing yeast and slanting. I am looking to do something more simple (I think).

Assuming I was going to make a series batches using the same white labs yeast, couldn't I make a starter from the original vial, split it into about 5 part using sanitized mason jars and then refrigerate them for later.

When ready for use, I could warm them to room temperature, and make a yeast starter for each brew on an as needed basis.

The only thing I am not sure about is the amount of time that the jars of yeast would stay viable in the fridge.

I do that all the time when I buy a new package of yeast that I use a lot. I usually split a ~1.5L starter into 3 jars and use each of those to make brewing starters. Then I'll wash yeast from one of those and get a few more jars. I've used yeast that I've had for a couple months before with no issues, worst case when they're a bit old is I'll have to make the starter in a couple steps.

Back