Ken Schramm's Fall's Bounty Cyser

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomsamba

Reaction score
My first cyser.... Followed an established recipe except used W/L English Cider yeast. No biggie...but three later at 68 degrees it's still bubbling away....this seems abnormal...smells fine.... Any cause for concern?
Tom

Lol, funny you should mention this, I JUST juiced my apples yesterday and am about an hour away from pitching my yeast! 4gals of apples in a home juicer is pain in the a$$!!!! definately looking into getting a press for next time...

Ok just decided it was close enough to 24 hours after the campden and pitched my starter.

ForumRunner_20111026_215323.jpg

My first cyser.... Followed an established recipe except used W/L English Cider yeast. No biggie...but three later at 68 degrees it's still bubbling away....this seems abnormal...smells fine.... Any cause for concern?
Tom

I made this recipe a few years ago. Tastes great, but takes a while to get tasty, about 2 years for mine, as does just about any mead-type (mead, cyser, melomel, metheglyn, etc...) fermentation. FYI: when Ken writes: "It's quite alcoholic..." he's not kidding; WOOHOO! It's great as a hot toddy, pretty good cold too. Regards, GF.

I am making this also. Just getting ready for racking to a carboy. Smells awesome!

cheers,

robin850

just tasted mine.... way too hot.... can I bottle and age or leave in the carboy?

I don't have direct experience, but I've done a lot of reading. The general wisdom seems to be to do bulk aging (i.e., in the carboy) if it's possible. This will minimize bottle-to-bottle variations and generally seems to give better results.

The big exception I can see is if you're uncertain of your ability to keep oxygen out. If you have big headspace or a plastic bucket fermenter, I would bottle. I'm not sure about Better Bottle type carboys, they claim to be less oxygen permeable but I don't know how true that is. In glass, there's no worry. There, it's just a question of headspace.

Back